Old Eyes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangfire

Reaction score
I would appreciate some experienced advice on optics for my 50 cal. Remington Genisis. The problem is my eyes are just as old as I am. My state allows only non-magnifying scopes with a permit from an eye doctor.I am considering red dot or aimpoint types but have no experience with them and would consider other options. 95% of shooting is 100 yds. or less.

I have used a Red Dot on rifles and was not happy with them. Before I would go to a Red Dot I would go with a peep sight. My State does not allow magnification either. So I use a 3-9x40 Nikon during modern season and a 1x32mm Thompson Center during the muzzleloader season on the rifle.

Aim points are not legal if they emit any kind of a beam. But I never used them.

Optics for Genisis

Thanks for the response. I did not consider the artificial light restriction. How do you like the Thompson Center scope? Also, what do you think of the Genisis in general?

I have trouble with the red dot but a peep site i do better. I don't have bad eyes, just can't afford new glases!! 8)

My am resricted to 1X or red dots also. My sons, son-in-law, and I all use red dots on both MLs and slug guns. Have had no problems with any of them. We all use the UltraDot brand with the 4 mil dot. Lifetime warrenty. Battery life is good. I can shoot 3 inch groups at a 100 yds. I have tried some of the cheaper red dots ($40 to $70), didn't care for them. These are about $120. Can be found at Larry's guns on the internet.

Red is a bad color for my eyes. Really hard to get a fine bead. Green works a heck of a lot better. I would consider something with different colors, in case you have a similar problem. Also check the size of the dot. Most of the red dot stuff is for close quarters, so a 4min. dot is actually preferable. At 150 yards, that dot covers 6".

Latest posts

Back