45 cal 1 in 28 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MMP sabot with home cast 225 grain bullet.

Also had excellent results using the Lyman 403169 240 grain bullet in fact my longest deer kill @150 yards using this bullet with MMP sabot.

Attachments

• IMG_20180209_164835_kindlephoto-323936710.jpg
    IMG_20180209_164835_kindlephoto-323936710.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 7
saxtonyoung I checked out pics other than color of sabots cheap shot being hollow points, that is VERY close in design I`ll have to give em a try

The brown Sabot is for 45 Caliber and the Blue is 50 Caliber. When I had Mountain Molds make me the Mould I had the 1-28 twist in mind and I've shot them in both 45 & 50 Caliber muzzleloaders equally well out to 175 yards. Mountain Molds no longer offers to make smooth sided Moulds but I've noticed that Accurate Molds has some listed that are very similar for anyone interested in casting. I've seen those cheap shots your talking about and believe they have a lot of potential.

pull a 3-4 inch group at 150 yards with cheap shots of course paper and rest are total different than shoot from shoulder on the fly.

This Optima is the pickest rifle I’ve ever fired it wouldn’t group 180’s or 195’s but boy did it love PR bullets 200 gr Deadcenter over 90 grains of bh209 . I wish I’d have a chronograph I’m guessing close to 2000 judging by the cup on the mmp sabot.

I have two .45 caliber muzzys. One is a T/C Hawken stock and hardware with a GM LRH 1:30 twist and the other is a T/C Encore Pro Hunter. The Encore I haven't shot yet and plan to when I get back up north in May. The target below was fired at 50 yards with open sights from the GM barrel using 80 gr of Goex FFFg and a home cast 340 gr paper patched bullet. The bullets in the second pic are my cast 390 gr and will also be paper patched and tried in both rifles. I hope they shoot as good as they look.

Attachments

• 45 GM LRH.jpg
    45 GM LRH.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 6
  • bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 6
they are cast from Accurate Molds' 44-390. It's a custom mold that I had finished to a diameter of .445". After paper patching they should come out at .451". If you plan on getting one don't expect it overnight. Its custom made and it took about 10 weeks to get mine. But IMO its worth the wait.

Back