.44 percussion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_MTNman

Reaction score
Just recently acquired a .44 cal percussion revolver, I am not sure on the brand but it looks like it is in decent shape, it was my grandpa's. It had engraving on the cylinder of ships.
20190711.jpg

20190712.jpg

Army model, nice old pistol, you should have some fun with it, and nice to see it stay in the family, on its way to becoming a family hierloom !!

May be a gun sold by Dixie Gun Works from the 1960's. Turner brought in truck loads of muzzleloading weapons over the years.

Have a question about picture - what is the mark on the frame?

question.jpg

.​

You mentioning the 1860 Army revolver, when these news reporters start their crap about taking our guns a few friends started looking at muzzleloaders for home protection. You can make blackpowder, percussion caps, and the balls needed if need be.

That got a few of us thinking - for home protection in a handgun a .44 cal. multiple shots (big caliber for stopping power) would be the ticket. I have always liked the 1860 Army or Navy Colt revolvers, had an original that had the barrel cut down that was very comfortable to handle (somebody making a "Mormon Special")? I started looking for one with this in mind, damn I found "Taylor & Company" offers one at a good price. Here's their ad.
_________________________________________________________​

1860 Army Snub Nose
The 1860 Army revolver was adopted as US government ordnance because of its lighter weight, improved balance, and superior ballistics. This 6-shot percussion revolver became very popular with mounted troops and went on to be the issued sidearm for the US Army for many years. The 1860 army snub nose model features a steel frame, shoulder stock frame cuts and screws, round barrel, brass loading rod included in the box, steel backstrap and triggerguard, and a flattop birdshead checkered walnut grip. The .36 version includes a dovetailed front sight and half fluted cylinder, while the .44 version includes a fixed front blade sight and a rebated half fluted cylinder. A conversion cylinder is available for this model that is a drop-in conversion to smokeless ammunition. Inventory status may not reflect exact SKUs, please contact us to ensure immediate availability.

Item Number 1860 SNUB P
$363.00

Availability: In stock
*Barrel Length & Caliber
  • 3" .36 (Item Number 318PIE) +$17.00
  • 3" .44 (Item Number 317PIE)
1860 Army.jpg
Nice size for the house if needed.

The scene, in case you didn't know, is from the Texas Navy battles. When Colt obtained a contract he was so thrilled that he commemorated the Texas Navy with an engraved battle scene. That scene is on the cylinder of many replicas and reproductions to this day.

Latest posts

Back