wild hog question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorhaught

Reaction score
I posted a question about hog hunting a few days back and now have another. This is my first time hunting pigs and wanted to know if the meat is good? If you consider bear meat or javelina meat good, then your opinion is not wanted :wink: :D

rather eat wild hogs over any store bought pork anytime ans over venison anytime. but i do like venison a lot just wild pig better.

Ill let you know next week. :wink:

Been out three times for hogs,and screwed the pooch on the only shot I had (bow).Hopefully next week Ill get one.

Oh yah...I don't like bear,but its not bad when you hide the flavor with some chili peppers,and such.

I had the last couple smoke they were very good. The meat is much like tame pork just a bit leaner. Lee

Lee 9 said:
I had the last couple smoke they were very good. The meat is much like tame pork just a bit leaner. Lee

The last one I had was a 40 pounder another guy shot and cooked all day on a smoker. Very good eating.

A wild sow tastes as good as any pork you can get anywhere.

Boars can be gamey, especially if they are bigguns or if they ran a good bit during/after the hunt. Smaller boar (say 150lb or less) or any of them that went Bang-Flop-Dead can be cut into hams and roasts or what ever cuts you want.

I have usually smoked my piggies in my electric smoker and they have always come out very moist, tender, and tasty. It can also be a little gassy that way too :shock: :oops: so keep some air freshener around!

Wild hog meat is some of the best meat on the planet. Contrary to old beliefs, boar meat is just as good as sow meat. What makes the boars rank is when they are rutting sows. You'll know instantly if a boar is rank because the oder will burn the hairs out of your nostrils from 25 yards. If it smells like a pig,, it's edible. If the hogs are fattened upon acorns you'll have the best sausage meat available, even the hard fat down the back will be sweet so don't throw it away, use it in the sausage.

Hog Meat is the worst I've ever eaten!! But I'll tell ya what I'll do. Not to ruin your taste buds forever. I'll send ya my home address and you can send me the meat.

Hey what are friends for! Ditto what everybody else has said. Just don't over cook it and sit down and enjoy. Just give yourself enough elbow room.

Come on Taylor! Of course you're going to eat it! You can't leave me with two hogs for myself. I'll get fat eating all that sausage! They'll be great. They've been feeding on acorns and corn. The guy is going to clean and skin them for us. All we have to do is unload and then those little piggies will be off to the meat market! Can't wait to get out there.

Latest posts

Back