effective range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnesota_hunter

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post. I hope it is in the right spot. I have not hunted with a muzzleloader in 10 years. (Normaly my freezer is full befor our ML season starts). This year i decided to deer hunt with my newest ML. It is a cva wolf i am shooting 295 grain hp powerbelt bullets, and 85 grains of 777. I am getting 2 inch groups at 100 yards and 3 - 3 1/2 inches groups at 150. I have shot it enough over the last 2 years to know it is accurate out to 150 yards, on days with little wind, i can even get 4 - 5 inch groups at 200yards.

What i am wondering is how far will my set up be effective. should i limmit my shots to 100yards or even 75. the last time i hunted with one, i used a 50 caliber Hawken rifle and limited myself to 50 yards or under. thanks for any input you can give me.

It might surprise you how far that load is lethal to. While I do not shoot further then 100 yards I would not be worried out to 150 yards with that load. You will not get a pass through, but the wound if you place the shot would be lethal.

I had a bang - flop at 140yd. last year with a lighter load then yours. You need to have confidence in your shot, or don't take it. I would not hesitate on taking a 200yd. shot if everything is just right.

dude, your 300wsm is good out to 400 yards easily. my buddy shot a doe opening day at 437 yards and she was a bang flop deal.

bow and arrow === 40yds

muzzleloader ====100yds

centerfire ======200yds

I have to disagree. Centerfire rifles can be accurate and deadly way past 200 yards. An "ethical" shot is mostly limited by the ability of the shooter rather than the range of a centerfiire rifle. Muzzleloaders can also maintain plenty of knock down power out to at least 200-250 yards using modern powders and projectiles.

Your maximum effective range is the maximum distance you can hit a 6" target, every time, from a field shooting position.
Doesn't matter how far the gun will shoot if you miss the vitals with your first shot..
Just my opinion.

How far did the old "buffalo" guns shoot? I'm of the opinion that a 50 cal shooting a 50 cal 350 is good to well over 200 yards.

Dan Carey said:
How far did the old "buffalo" guns shoot? I'm of the opinion that a 50 cal shooting a 50 cal 350 is good to well over 200 yards.

Problem is that only 1 in 100 guys are capable of making that long of shots ethically

thanks guys. I am confident in my shooting out to 150, i just wasn't sure it my load would still have enough energy. Now that i feel confident in both, i hope to be able to show off a few pics of a nice one.

Latest posts

Back