My new Triumph is smoking (Picture)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintcan

Reaction score
When I got home today from work the Big Brown truck was in my driveway delivering my new Triumph muzzleloader.

After spending some time, cleaning the barrel and running some JB bore paste patches through the barrel, I cleaned it again. Mounted a 4 -12 Leupold scope on my Leupold QR bases. I then premeasured 13 tubes with 78.0 gr (weighed) of Blackhorn 209.and headed to the range. It took 4 shots to get zeroed in at 100 yards.

My very first group I decided to try an old favorite deer load.
300 gr Barnes MZ with EZ load sabots harvester Long pedal
78.0 grains of Blackhorn
Federal 209A
0.581" c-t-c
Average Velocity 1918 fps

Second Group
300 PT Gold with harvester EZ load sabots
78.0 grains of Blackhorn
Federal 209A
1.19" c-t-c
Average Vel 1908 fps

Third Group
250 Barnes TMZ BT (replaced the yellow sabot with the yellow crushed rib from Harvester)
78.0 grains of Blackhorn
Federal 209A
0.858" c-t-c
Average Vel 2012 fps

I decided to take on picture showing all three targets with the gun and scope. To say I'm tickled pink would be and understatement.

triumph.jpg

Just for grins I averaged these three groups. 0.876" . Where do I go from here??

Where do I go from here??

Get some of the Knight 285gr Spitfires. They are on sale for $13 per 18 and try those Harvester BT sabots. :D

My Disc Extreme actually did really well with the supplied blue sabots but i got some of the Harvesters to try out. They are tiny bit larger OD than the Knight blues.

Very nice shooting and nice rifle too BTW. Ive never gotten the larger Expander MZs to shoot that well out of mine but still good enough for "minute of deer". :lol:

Great shooting!!

Next is 150yds.
With those groups with a 300 gr bullet, I see no reason to try conicals unless your state requires them.

I just love it when another T/c rifle performs as it should. Excellent shooting.

Chocdog

I bought a Triumph and have not shot it yet...is it necessary to JB the barrel first? If so, what is the recommended procedure for this?

And....Paintcan, Good shooting! Hope mine shoots as well.
Bulldog...

Just clean it out with Hoppes really good before you head to the range. I just did it to my son's Triumph a few weeks ago and it loaded nicely. Work about 5 oiled patches wrapped around a .45 brush down the bore and you will be fine.

NICE :D
I usually see great rage reports from the Triumph,your is no exception.
Congrats :D

This Triumph continues to impress me. Here in western Wisconsin, we have been getting just pounded with the wind for about 2 weeks now. I have been itching to get back out to the range to try a couple more loads. Today, I got my chance when the wind died down to 15 miles per hour. :shock:

I decided to try some Triple 7 in my new gun to see if the speed breech would experience the dreaded breech plug sieze while using T7. After about 10 shots I reached in and hand turned the speed breech...no problem at all. Nice.

Anyway, I was very impressed with my first three shot group using the Barnes 250 TMZ using Yellow Harvester sabot and 85 grains of ffg. My first two shots were almost in the same hole, with the third very close. Group size 0.553" c-t-c. I upped the load to 88 grains (weighed) and my group size opened up to 2.9".

trium58.jpg

Next I tried the 290 TMZ with yellow harvester and 100 grains (weighed) of ffg and I shot a 1.19" c-t-c group.

I just love the fit and feel of this gun, and that speed breech is great even when using Triple 7 powder.

Latest posts

Back