BH209 and Omega Z5, what volume you use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshsmit56001

Reaction score
What is the volume of BH209 everybody is using in their omegas? I have started out with around 90 grains volume but I have some long shots where I hunt. How will using more grains effect the bullet flight?

Thanks,
Josh

Omega

My Omega does not care as long as It is 100gr. Seems like it is that way with every powder I try

90 gr. B209 here. Shoots good. Bullets don't fragment. Very happy.

Using BH209, 100 grains with sabots. Try increasing in increments of 5 and see what it does to your groups.

110 grns BH209 with 250 grn T/C Shock Wave, or a 300 grn Hornady .452 XTP, and both are in Harvester Sabots

Guy's I was just thinking......

In the Wild West...... They shot all the Buffalo til they were gone at 250-250 yards with nothing more than.......... .45 Cal. with 70 grains of real Black Powder Flintlock Rifles..........

Re: Guy's I was just thinking......

wishtofish said:
In the Wild West...... They shot all the Buffalo til they were gone at 250-250 yards with nothing more than.......... .45 Cal. with 70 grains of real Black Powder Flintlock Rifles..........

Good point. I think all too often we try to push things to the biggest or want to have the best when we don't nessarly need it. I know I'm guilty of that.

My Omega likes lighter loads than my other guns it groups best wit 100gr of BH209.

wishtofish said:

and a 405grain conical. Flintlock, im not so sure about, especially 250 yards.

wishtofish said:

Really? I always thought they shot them at essentially point blank range. They aren't very wary animals that flee, you can get pretty close to them. I don't see any need to shoot them from 200+ yards away when you can probably get within 20 yards.

Reminds me of the Wyatt Earp movie with Kevin Costner when they were plowing down buffalo and skinning them...shooting at very close distances.

Does a 45 Cal with 70 grains of BP have enough energy to penetrate and kill a buffalo at 250 yards (in all likelihood a patched round ball, no?)

I wouldn't used a 45cal PRB on a deer beyond about 75 yards. A buffalo (bison)? forget it!

What killed most of the bison were cartridge firing rifles from the 50-70 in the early years to the 45-100 in the later years. The 50-70 with a 450gr bullet was pretty effective. The 45-70 didn't appear until 1873, and larger 45-90, 45-100, and 50-90 were used later. The 44-77 was also a relatively early and powerful cartridge.

The 50-70 was first available in converted Sharps and Trapdoor rifles that had originally been percussion ignition. Surplus military ammo for cheap made these popular.

What most of these cartridges had in common was a long, heavy bullet that would penetrate. A PRB doesn't have this kind of penetration, has a low BC so loses velocity quickly, and is a 100 yard projectile at best. While 20 bore (62cal) or larger PRB might have a chance at killing bison, the guns made for such primarily were Jaegers(Germany/Austria/Switzerland) or English sporting rifles. The Jaegers preceeded the "Kentucky rifle" here in North Amercia, so large bores were almost non-existant (here)by the mid 19th century. The English sporting rifles were used successfully in Africa, but large bores(up to 4 bore or so, meaning 4 RBs to the #) and heavy rifles were still short range weapons.

Latest posts

Back