Knight Rolling Block won't fire with 209 primer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledge

Reaction score
I just received a new KRB in the mail. I was tinkering with it and relubed the breech plug. I decided to fire a Winchester 209 777 primer to "clean" out the plug but when I seated the primer, the gun will not fire. It dry fires fine when the primer is removed. It appears that the primer is "pushing back" on the block and the block is blocking the hammer from engaging when the trigger is pulled. When I drop the primer straight into the breech, half the primer is sticking out. Is that normal? Is it an issue with the 777 primers or perhaps the breech plug?

Are you putting the primer directly into the breech plug??

Pull your trigger assembly out and make sure it is nice and clean. Make sure the block and primer holder sections have no debris or excess grease between them.

Is the hammer catching on the rounded part of back of the block?

I am not putting the primer directly into the breech plug when trying to fire but I did just to see how it seats. It does not seat all of the way when dropped into the plug. About half of the primer is out of the plug. I have removed the plug and tightened to make sure it is all the way in. Everything is clean and works fine with primer removed. It appears that the breech plug may not be tapped deep enough to accomdate the primer.

The hammer is catching on the rounded part of the block due to the block being pushed back by the primer. I have a call into to Knight but nobody will return my call.

That block rides on a spring sitting on a steel ball - more spring tension would probably fix it but no sense tampering with a brand new rifle ... unless there is no recourse. Email Gordie - [email protected]

ps: it is normal for the primer not to fully insert in the breech plug but yours might be sticking out more than was designed. Have you tried a different brand of primer? Winchesters are about the longest you can buy.

Well I went out and bought some Remington primers tonight after compairing the length and seeing that they are indeed shorter than the Winchester. I seated the primer and click. I was at least able to pull the trigger but the hammer still does not engage due to the block preventing its forward motion. Closer but still not usable. I think you might be correct about the spring since when I removed the triger assembly the pin above the spring and ball that holds the block in place fell out. I would expect the tension should enough to prevent that from happening. At this point I have it narrowed to either an issue with the spring or that the block was not machined correctly and too much was left on the rear which is prevently the hammer from moving forward. Part of me wants to put the sucker on the grinder and remove 1/16 inch but I'm probably better off just returning to Knight for a new trigger assembly. Sure wish they would have test fired before sending out. What a pain in the ass.

Thanks for all the helpful hints. For a beginner...this sure has taught me a lot about the workings of muzzleloaders.

When I had an issue with my trigger on a KRB, I sent them the whole trigger assembly and they replaced the entire assembly.

I never had the issues you did, but multiple people I know have had an issue with it not firing ater 10-15 shots at the range. Seems to be gung from blowback building up and not allowing the rolling block to close completely. the new one they sent me has never had this problem so far.

Latest posts

Back