375 Ruger with 235 grain speer hot cor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I did spend 3-years hunting exclusively with the 375 H&H. I used the 235 grain Speer, the 260 grain Accubond and the 380 Rhino for different applications. With the 235 grain, I was at a little over 2700 FPS. I shot many WTD, a mule deer, antelope and medium sized exotics. The furthest shot was at 300-yards. I did not recover a single bullet, every animal dropped right there and upon recovery there was extensive damage. Pushing the bullet even faster leaves two possibilities that come to mind. Maybe it will expand more/easier upon impact and you might even recover one. On the other hand, maybe it causes even more "damage" to the animal and still exits. Depending on what you are trying to achieve it is worth trying. I will say at 2700 FPS it was accurate, mild recoil and just devastating on medium game. For elk, bear and animals getting over the 400-pound mark I used the 260 Accubond but still kept it near 2700 FPS and it was very accurate and effective. I actually recommend it for an all-around 375 not including dangerous game.

I have only used Hornady 225 grain in my 375 Ruger Have them loaded to almost 2675 . Have only shot a few Hogs with them so far all have been pass thru's with quite a bit of damage . Farthest shot was probably just under 150 yards. Dont think I would try to get mine any faster as it does plenty with the load I am using now and it groups great .I am shooting them in a Mossberg Patriot .375 ruger.jpg

Last edited:
I have taken 1 cow elk with my Ruger with Hornady factory 270 grain, at 60 yards. She was laying down, hit it in the base of the neck, never got to her feet. A lot of damage, slid down hill on her blood. Would have to keep any bullet from this rifle in the lungs or neck.IMG_0049.jpeg

Last edited:
Wish my 375 Ruger was a #1 .My 416 Ruger is ,love the #1's got 3 of them .

I am fond of the 4 I have. I did not find a hornady 220 grain bullet. Was thinking to load the Speer 235 gr for plinking and the Barnes 235 gr for hunting. But time is limited, I'll go with the Barnes all the way. Have you used your 416 on any critters?

I use the Barnes 215 grain bullet in my T/C Contender in .375 Winchester Hybrid. I get 2400FPS out of the 12" Barrel. Has taken several deer with this bullet. Never recoved a one, but plenty of internal damage caused. Shots have been anywhere from 35 yards out to 125 yards.

I have had two unfired collections of Ruger Number One's, good investment on both with doubling or better my funds invested. $$$$$ :thumbs up: Kept my full Ruger Collection with some unusal pieces (gotten through Bill Ruger's Collection Club) for years, another money maker.

Got really expensive late on as you had to sign up for everything built by Sturm Ruger to get the your serial numbers less than #50.

The best one gun was a first run Ruger Blackhawk, serial #125, three screw, .357 magnum, (not converted to transfer bar system) flat top given to Skeeter Skelton to write about. In those days the sports writer's would get first run guns for their articles, then they were sold.

skeeter.jpg

buck conner.jpg

Elkeater I hit wrong key they are 225 grain Hornadys not sure they are still available . Yes I have shot several Hogs with my 416 Ruger also the Bear in my avator picture. It hasnt done any more damage then the 375 has so far .

2 of my #1s have iron sights, a 270 win and the 375. Leopold rings have a large slotted screw head on them. I carry with me a cut down and grinded driver to remove scope in case of a mishap. At the range, the removal and replacement of the scope has not changed poi. And swapping scopes between #1s is easy peasy.

Sounds like you're in hog heaven there Mark. Where do you like to hit them?

Try for head shots that way you dont waste any bacon. We have quite a few .These are just one litter they are all grown up now at least shot yetpigs at feeder.jpg

Back