bought some t7 fffg.I Have a few ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
O.K....I had a brain fart when I was at the gun store this morning.I bought some t7 fffg instead of ffg....my first time getting powder.I'm still good to go right?I opened the jug before I realized it wasn't ffg also...so I'm stuck with it.
I'ma going to the range tomorrow to work a load up...unless one of you old timers say its a no go.My plan was to start with 80 grains,and work up(with ffg) can I still carry out this plan with fffg?

Thanks

Cell

What Nim said...and the 3Fg will save you some powder as it will be a tad hotter so you don't need as much. Should work fine in a .50 or .45 cal. not too good in a .12 ga. shotgun.

Sounds good.Thanks. I was really stressing over this.lol.

I'm heading to the hills on Friday,so hopefully I get an good load worked up tomorrow...pushing it,but I have an whole day to figure it out.I can always fall back on my pellet load,but really wanted to graduate to powder.
Tell yah what tho this powder sure is small in size.I made some loads up in tubes over an big pan...the powder I dropped in the process was probably a quarter of a load.

again thanks.

Cell

i shoot alot more 3f than 2f,just my opinion but i believe it volume mesure's with better consistentsy and leaves less of a crudring....karl

I've ran a lot of comparisons between the 2fg and the 3fg 777 powders and found very little difference between the two......less than 100fps on average. I think this is because 2fg is already cut so fine, that there is almost no difference in size between them.

I have also found that heavier saboted bullets (over 300gr) like the 3fg over 2fg and the lighter ones prefer 2fg. So if you are shooting lighter bullets, I would suggest dropping your powder load 10gr and see what you got and go from there. Also, lead conicals and Powerbelts don't particularly like the 3fg - so I would definitely suggest using sabots with your 3fg.

Lead conicals work great with 3F 8) . Thats all I shoot in my muzzys- 460gr pure lead conicals and 3F powder. If you are shooting conicals keep your powder charge down to 70=80 grains and they do fine.

The only conicals I have are the ftb's.I bought em for sh!ts and giggles.Besides those I shoot xtp's.

But thats leads me to another question...I was looking at Midwayusa's site,and at there 50 cal. bullets.Seems theres a lot of choices.I don't see a lot of members here mentioning that they shoot 50 cal. bullets.I did find a 275 grain 50 cal. bullet...thought that was pretty cool....but I'm sure there might be a performance issue with the big bullets.

Just to recap...

Thanks for the advise.Went to the range yesterday,and worked a couple of loads.
Traditions xlt muzzyloader

1: 80 grains fff/230 grain xtp

2: 85 grains ffg/250 grain xtp

Maybe it was just me...but the 5 grains really made a difference on groups.I also noticed groups opening up after 4 or 5 shots>barrel was getting hot.I let it cool down while measure some loads,and the groups shrank back.

I was getting 2 to 4 inch groups at 50 yards.The latter was in the end of the day...I was starting to flinch from the recoil.I Popped a few primers towards the end,and felt my self flinching pretty bad.
Just for sh!ts,and giggles I fired a 95 grain load...man my muzzle seemed to jump a mile up.lol

All in all I'm pretty confident with what I have already.With more range time I will be able to fix my flinching,and hopefully close the groups a little.

I'm think next time I go out Ill try a 70/75 grain load.If it works I'm wondering if that will have enough velocity to take a deer down at 50-70 yards?

Edit:I forgot to add...With the loads above the crud ring was very little.I would have no problem loading up a follow up shot without running a patch.This was with winchester's regular primers,and no blowback.Next time Ill use the t777 primers and see what happens.

That's more than enough to kill a deer with.

To help with the flinching...practice a few dry fires (you may wanna put a used cap in place). When you pull the trigger concentrate on keeping the sight steady while you slowly squeeze. Don't think about the recoil but think about the way the trigger feels...every rough/smooth spot and what it feels like right at the break. Concentrate on the "click" of the mechanism and it takes your mind off the recoil. Think "I'm just gonna make it click." All good shooters know the feel of their triggers intimately. This will pay off at the range and in the woods.

Back