My new Bellm pin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrimpy50

Reaction score
i just got it n the mail. i had just a slight, but noticeable play in the barrel. i installed the new pin and no more wiggle. the 1x was the ticket. maybe that will eliminate the flyer i get. cannot wait to shoot again so i can see how it does

shrimpy50 said:
i just got it n the mail. i had just a slight, but noticeable play in the barrel. i installed the new pin and no more wiggle. the 1x was the ticket. maybe that will eliminate the flyer i get. cannot wait to shoot again so i can see how it does

+1 for the 1x pin . I really like the feel of my Encore after putting mine in . Mine slipped in by hand no tapping . Did you have to tap yours in ?

I had to tap mine in. If you can slip it in by hand there's still a little play.

SWThomas said:
I had to tap mine in. If you can slip it in by hand there's still a little play.

I do have to push it in hard with my thumb , but i don't have to use a mallet , just push real real hard . I don't feel any play even with the receiver open , so i think i am good . :D

Bellm pin

little tap tap tap with a 4 oz. ball peen with the factory pin as a driver

jb fastcat said:
If you were able to push it in by hand I would bet the 2X pin would work for you.

MIne has no play in it , so i will wait until it get loose again before i go to the 2x . I think it would be too tight and i just don't want to use a hammer , if i open the action there is NO wobble at all . :D :D

I was thinking about trying a +1 on my Endeavor as the pin is sort of a loose slip fit in the frame , it is a interference fit in th barrel and I have to pound hard with a heavy plastic hammer to get it in.
I guess I need to locate a reamer that will make them the same size. I am almost scared to monkey with it as it shoots fairly well. Lee

Boy, something must be wrong with my Prohunter, I can push the pin out with my finger and very little pressure and I don't feel any wobble. I'm not messing with it though because after I floated the forearm with a couple washers I shot a 0.57" group at 200 yds with the .243. :lol: Maybe with a new pin it would start doing even better...

Seriously though, if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my philosophy and apparently some Encores aren't real sensitive. It's good to know there are tried and true remedies out there if things start going to pot.

Not all Encores, Pro-Hunters and Endeavors are exactly the same. Some people think they need trigger jobs and some people's rifles don't seem to have the tightest of lockups. Attached is a link to an interesting shooting article on Encore Accuracy tips that some here might find usefull that I came across about a year ago.

http://gunsandoptics.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -tips.html

smong2000 said:
Seriously though, if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my philosophy and apparently some Encores aren't real sensitive. It's good to know there are tried and true remedies out there if things start going to pot.

My Encore is like yours after i put the 1x hinge pin . Your lucky yous did not have any wobble . After i floated my barrel was when i REALLY notice the play in mine . The forearm touching the receiver WAS holding it in place and hiding most of the play , but it still was not locking closed all the way . After floating the barrel i added the 1x pin and stronger spring I really like it now , but not the way it came . :twisted: Encores are good guns but some need to be tweaked !! :roll: It was worth the $2o.oo in new parts !!

i had a very sorry experience with my Encore. Finally got most of the bugs worked out but the barrel still has side play if it is not closed briskly. It sits in the gun safe unused while i hunt with a cheap CVA gun that i trust. To say that this gun left a bad taste in my mouth is an understatement.

My 60 year old Winchester model 37 shotgun has no side to side play to this day: The barrel will not close on a cigarette paper. Difference is that that old Winchester shotgun was made in a day when companies and workers took pride in their product.

TC has the best CNC machine tools in the world and for some reason they have oodles of trouble making the Encore right. For the money that TC charges for that gun one has a right to expect a rifle that is free from defects.

blog

coh-1 great article and i understand it. I saved his site i want toread more.

forearms, lock up , stocks

i want to know more about all the upgrades. the new Bellm pin is just a start. i would like to make it as good as possible. i still havent shot mine with the new pin. i will tomorrow, though. coincedently, my buddy has an Encore, and it had so much play it wasnt even funny. he went and had a 2x pin installed. At 85 yards, he went from well over 2 inch groups to 3 shots touching. i can only hope mine will do that well. i am taking it to the Adirondacks for the early bear season Saturday. it is dropping into the 30's at night there. cant wait

Re: forearms, lock up , stocks

shrimpy50 said:
i want to know more about all the upgrades. the new Bellm pin is just a start. i would like to make it as good as possible. i still havent shot mine with the new pin. i will tomorrow, though. coincedently, my buddy has an Encore, and it had so much play it wasnt even funny. he went and had a 2x pin installed. At 85 yards, he went from well over 2 inch groups to 3 shots touching. i can only hope mine will do that well. i am taking it to the Adirondacks for the early bear season Saturday. it is dropping into the 30's at night there. cant wait

There are a few other things but you probably don't need them. Mike Bellm also sells a stiffer lock-up spring. All it does is make the barrel lock a little tighter into the receiver when closed and hold it in place better. I have one but I don't think it's a necessity. Especially if the 1X pin eliminates all the play by itself. He also sells trigger kits to lighten the trigger pull. I haven't done anything to the trigger of my Endeavor as it's very smooth and perfectly light for me. There are other things like shim kit's to adjust headspace and stiffer hammer springs but you don't need to worry about that unless you plan to use centerfire barrels on your gun.

I am not sure I agree about adjusting the head space, I have read on some of the forums that some people have more blow back than others, the first thing I would look at in those circumstances would be if the 209 is tightly held or not. Lee

Back