260 Yards, 1:48 Twist .50 Cal Renegade, Lyman Plains

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
260 Yards, OPEN SIGHTS, STOCK 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal, Lyman Plains Bullet Cast of Pure Lead, Weighing in at 400 Grains

d9BDdd2l.jpg

My 2 Shots on the Gong, There was a Guy and Gal Showed up behind me on an ATV, They asked if they could watch me Shoot the Gong, SO that 1st Shot is not on Video, I only Shot at the Gong 2 Times, I don’t like Holding over like that. This Barrel will be Fitted in another Renegade Stock of mine with an Adjustable Peep, And LOTS of MOA at my Disposal :p This Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal Renegade Will be Going MUCH Longer Range Soon
GP8W4sXl.jpg

Where i was Shooting this Morning, This Old Logging Rd DEAD ENDS Less than 100 Yards From My Target, NO WAY anyone can Come in from that End, They would have to Go through me first, and i have the Old Rd Blocked off, Set up in the Middle of it. In other Words, I’m SAFE
rmLAGpjm.jpg

You guy’s that have these Old Stock 1:48 Twist Sidelocks, They are a LOT more Capable than you might think. My eyes have been opened by this one. I don’t believe this Barrel is a Fluke? I would bet that all of these Old Guns Will do this, Setup properly, With Good Powder, And a Proven Bullet such as this Lyman Plains. I will soon be Testing this SAME Stuff in .54 Cal, I have the Lyman Plains Mold for .54 Cal as Well, Along with SEVERAL other REALLY GOOD .54 Cal Custom Bullet, Both Grease Groove, and Paper Patch.

WOW, that is great shooting.
It is not a fluke to me, my T/C's shot very good when the right combinations were used. I had both T/C and Lyman conical molds, I preferred the Lyman for accuracy.

I love it when the "know-it-all's" tell us - "the muzzleloader is only good for 100 yards or less".
Then here comes Lewis (that kid from Idaho) with his extended range shooting different muzzleloaders.

I personally haven't shot muzzleloaders the distances that Lewis does and probably will only dream of doing such at this point of my life.

The longest distance shot in a scheduled match was at 200 yards up a 30 degree slop at the CSMLA event in Leadville CO in 1989. The guy that I was shooting agains was using what Lewis was shooting (.50 cal. T/C Hawken), I had a GRRW .58 cal. Leman. That was a first for me to shoot that distance plus shooting up hill, fun event that drew a large crowd. Lots of yelling with each shot and the clanging of the hits was exciting, the money for 1st place wasn't bad either.

299ydshoot.jpg

You guy’s that have these Old Stock 1:48 Twist Sidelocks, They are a LOT more Capable than you might think. My eyes have been opened by this one. I don’t believe this Barrel is a Fluke? I would bet that all of these Old Guns Will do this, Setup properly, With Good Powder, And a Proven Bullet such as this Lyman Plains. I will soon be Testing this SAME Stuff in .54 Cal, I have the Lyman Plains Mold for .54 Cal as Well, Along with SEVERAL other REALLY GOOD .54 Cal Custom Bullet, Both Grease Groove, and Paper Patch.
..."Setup properly" ...
That's what you do extremely well Idaholewis. It's all about precision and attention to detail.
‐‐--------------
p.s. Since you like to launch big bullets, I thought about you during today's U.S. missile launch of SPACE FORCE.😁

That is some fine shooting!
I've never tried a muzzleloader shot beyond 150 yards. The outdoor range I go to only permits shots out to 100 yds. 260 yards with a peep sight is great for both you and the stock rifle.
Ron

Great shooting for sure. I'm curious what your aiming point was on the cardboard? I have a rifled TC renegade in 50 cal. But I'm sure my eyes aren't up for shooting like that I don't care what bullet and powder I'm using ! 😉

I once knowed a feller that shot a deer that was so far away that he had to put salt on the bullet to preserve the meat till he could get to it the next day. Seriously though, that is some good shooting. Like someone said earlier, it's foolish to limit your shots to 100 yards or less. When you know your gun as well as I'm sure you know yours, it ain't luck, it's experience.

I wonder how difficult it would be to put a Vernier sight on your gun? Is there a secret to mounting one? Never tried to set one up but now I'm a bit intrigued. Anyone ever done that?

Good shooting Idaholewis and Buck. I used to make a shooting match at the NRA Whittington Center in New Mexico. It was called the Levi Garrett Territorial match for about 3 or 4 states. After the the regular shooting time on the range would close for paper targets they would have some fun rounds with steel gongs. You drop your money in a tin cup, shoot until you miss. They had silhouette targets at 50, 100, 150 & 200 yards. You start at 50 and go out. They would shoot that for an hour or so until close to dusk. With my .54 Flintlock and 90grn. of 3F hunting load it was pretty easy out to 150 but had some hold over at 200. It was a hoot. There was a lot of trash talking and ribbing that took place.
Sounds like you are getting ready for the fall. Sometimes when I go to the range I use and there are not any shooters around I mess with the gongs.
It is a pistol silhouette range and the have steel hanging at 50,100, 150 & 200. I like to do some offhand practice. People are surprised how accurate
muzzleloaders are in the hands of good shooters that know their guns.

Mike

Have shot the Levi Garrett Territorial matches years ago. At one of those matches back in early 90's there was a serious forest fire 20 miles away, the smoke from that fire had everyone coughing on the firing line, old memories came back when Whittington Center came up. :cheers:

time.moves.jpg

Great shooting, and 260 yards, WOW! I've never fired farther than 100 to 130 yards and those two shots were at deer in a LARGE hayfield. Paper targets & gongs at 100 yards are the longest shots I've fired, other than the two mentioned above. About average for me is around 4" for 5 shots at 100 yards. I don't think I could even SEE targets at the distances you shoot.

Took a whitetail once at 162 yards with a t/c 50 cal black diamond xr with a hornady xtp mag and 90gr 777. Im from the east and aint no Daniel Boone but I had extreme confidence in that t/c and load. Usually keep my shot at 100 or less here in the east. Sure enjoy you sharing your talent Lewis. Thank you!

Have shot buffalo with .58 to .50 caliber flinters, smaller caliber was my backup gun. Usually first shots were in the 125-135 yard ranges using the .50 caliber gun closer in the 75 - 80 yard or closer distance. Closest distance I have experienced was at 20 yards in a do or die shot. Fun hunts that makes me now wonder why I took such changes at the closer ranges. I guess at the time a wounded buffalo could run faster hurt than I could on my best day ......

time.moves.jpg

260 Yards, OPEN SIGHTS, STOCK 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal, Lyman Plains Bullet Cast of Pure Lead, Weighing in at 400 Grains

d9BDdd2l.jpg

My 2 Shots on the Gong, There was a Guy and Gal Showed up behind me on an ATV, They asked if they could watch me Shoot the Gong, SO that 1st Shot is not on Video, I only Shot at the Gong 2 Times, I don’t like Holding over like that. This Barrel will be Fitted in another Renegade Stock of mine with an Adjustable Peep, And LOTS of MOA at my Disposal :p This Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal Renegade Will be Going MUCH Longer Range Soon
GP8W4sXl.jpg

Where i was Shooting this Morning, This Old Logging Rd DEAD ENDS Less than 100 Yards From My Target, NO WAY anyone can Come in from that End, They would have to Go through me first, and i have the Old Rd Blocked off, Set up in the Middle of it. In other Words, I’m SAFE
rmLAGpjm.jpg

Idaho I have a trick for the holdover issue take a stick or something taller than your gong or target and put some orange paint on it at different intervals say every 6 inches or so and place it right next to the gong and tie attatch to the stand then it makes it a little easier to get the same holdover it's not super precise but if you c
Idaho great shooting I'm the one that asked you about cleaning between shots the other day if you can for giggles do a two or three shot string not cleaning between shots to see if you get similar results at 260 yards.
Thanks
MS

Have shot buffalo with .58 to .50 caliber flinters, smaller caliber was my backup gun. Usually first shots were in the 125-135 yard ranges using the .50 caliber gun closer in the 75 - 80 yard or closer distance. Closest distance I have experienced was at 20 yards in a do or die shot. Fun hunts that makes me now wonder why I took such changes at the closer ranges. I guess at the time a wounded buffalo could run faster hurt than I could on my best day ......

That's my dream. Shoot a buffalo and fill the freezer. Buffalo is better than any meat I've eaten.

That's my dream. Shoot a buffalo and fill the freezer. Buffalo is better than any meat I've eaten.
Bison meat is some good.
I might have a chance on a an elk on buddies girlfriends ranch which also has “white” buffalo. If given the opportunity, I’m thinking of using my .54 TC Hawken with a cast Lyman plains bullet.
The Hawken is brand new. Only 5 shots fired by me. Figure no better way to break her in.
Thanks again Mr IdahoLewis for sharing your R&D
👍🏻

Last edited:

buffani.gif..... Here are a few pictures of hunting buffalo with flintlock rifles (rifled and smoothbores)...

img2.jpg
Typical hunting camp when living in a primitive life style and the reason we are here - BUFFALO
Wilbur's herds were free roaming on 23 sections of ground, you had your pick of the 75-100 animals available.

img3.jpg
ONE BUFFALO
This was a1600 lb. bull buffalo I shot at different distances. Firts shot was with a .58 cal. GRRW Leman Trade Rifle at 135 yards. He decided he would repay the favor as he started to charge at 60 yards, still using reloaded .58. At 35 yards I hit him through the lungs with a GRRW NW Tradegun .60 cal. (smoothbore), now stopped he just stood there. Reloaded the Tradegun and moved closer, then hit him behind the ear, end of hunt.

img4.jpg
TWO DIFFERENT BUFFALOS

First Picture: first bull went down shot by a friend, second bull was getting ready (we think to charge). I was using my (.60 cal tradegun) sat down and hit him through the lungs.
Second Picture: was a mistake on my part (frozen ground I fell on my butt, smooth sole mocs aren't the best foorwear in Jan.) I stayed still and shot this animal.
Third Picture: watching the bull die (hardest part of any hunt).

img5.jpg
Meat and salted hides, this only shows three animals of six taken that day.

img6.gif
Here's a 1,400 ib. bull taken with a 1874 Shiloh Sharps in 40/70 2-1/10 cartridge, 400 grain bullet with duplex load.

pix367535969.jpg

time.moves.jpg

Last edited:
T
View attachment 2034..... Here are a few pictures of hunting buffalo with flintlock rifles (rifled and smoothbores)...

View attachment 2029
Typical hunting camp when living in a primitive life style and the reason we are here - BUFFALO
Wilbur's herds were free roaming on 23 sections of ground, you had your pick of the 75-100 animals available.

View attachment 2030
ONE BUFFALO
This was a1600 lb. bull buffalo I shot at different distances. Firts shot was with a .58 cal. GRRW Leman Trade Rifle at 135 yards. He decided he would repay the favor as he started to charge at 60 yards, still using reloaded .58. At 35 yards I hit him through the lungs with a GRRW NW Tradegun .60 cal. (smoothbore), now stopped he just stood there. Reloaded the Tradegun and moved closer, then hit him behind the ear, end of hunt.

View attachment 2031
TWO DIFFERENT BUFFALOS

First Picture: first bull went down shot by a friend, second bull was getting ready (we think to charge). I was using my (.60 cal tradegun) sat down and hit him through the lungs.
Second Picture: was a mistake on my part (frozen ground I fell on my butt, smooth sole mocs aren't the best foorwear in Jan.) I stayed still and shot this animal.
Third Picture: watching the bull die (hardest part of any hunt).

View attachment 2032
Meat and salted hides, this only shows three animals of six taken that day.

View attachment 2033
Here's a 1,400 ib. bull taken with a 1874 Shiloh Sharps in 40/70 2-1/10 cartridge, 400 grain bullet with duplex load.

View attachment 2035

View attachment 2036
Thanks for the extra treat Buck. Now that's an adventure of a lifetime.

Over the years Stan I have shot a dozen bulls and one cow buffalo (she was the hardest to keep down). The ranch owner gave me a deal on her to remove a "trouble maker" - the cow not me. She had tore up more equipment than one would believe, sides out of stock trailers to fenders on tractors and a number of pasture gates.

Have shot that many more (dozen) for guys that couldn't keep their animal on the ground (poor shot placements). You can talk until your blue in the face about how to get close (safely) and where to put that shot. Then when it's time to go after their animal on the 23 sections of ground (no fences on property other than a few for different pastures) they seem to go "blank" on what we had just gone over. Had an old friend make a good shot and nothing happened, told him to reload then noticed he was using a small measurer for his powder. "How much powder are you using Darrell", he replies "my target load" - 65 grains of 2FF. !@#$%^ He's shooting a .54 cal. T/C - crap that's bouncing off the thick hair of the animal. "Double charge your rifle", he didn't and same results, his wife sets up and tells me to kill the bull which was done within a minute.

Lot's of old war stories when still hunting in Wallace KS with the property owner on different hunts over the years.

time.moves.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back