NEW Hornady 50 Cal 300gr InterLock? FPB?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
NEW Hornady 50 Cal 300gr InterLock? FPB?

Looks like the 350 gr FPB? has a baby brother. Has anyone seen these, or better yet shot them? I would like to see them in a .45 caliber, in a 250 and 300 grain. The 350 is one of the most accurate bullets I have ever shot, and they put PowerBelts to shame on performance as well. This new offering will find PowerBelt trying to reinvent itself.

http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-300-gr-FPB/

Still not interested! Easy loading 25lbs my eye. It was more like 125lbs! :lol:

These will still roast them,
Accura250grBT001.jpg

They load real easy in my Sidekick, but extremely hard in my cousin's Pursuit..

300 grain...I will try it. If I did not shoot paper I would not shoot at all :oops:

i couldnt get the 350's down my pursuist either i would like to try the thors this summer though.

If they shoot like the 350s do then they'll be a winner. I'll have to try some of them out when I can find them.

My Encore has a tight bore. The 350 grain FPB loads very easily compared to some sabots. i put the bullet in the QLA and give the short starter a hard lick with the palm of my hand, then it goes down easily.

All right! Can't wait to give them a test run. Frontier, stop by some time and I will show you how to load them. I have a very tight Omega bore that they load snugly but easily in. Course, as stated, there is a trick to get them started. I have now shot a couple of hundred of them in 3 different rifles and love them. And their tightness is one of the keys to being reliable with BH 209.

The thors may prove to be a great bullet and could be superior to FPBs in some instances, but IMO the FPBs do leave powerbelts in the dust. As they say, the proof is in the puddin. I have two elk down with FPBs with two shots. How many elk have you seen killed with the Thor?

And the new bullets will probably be short enough to shoot in Colorado without removing the tip. Any source to buy them yet?

thors are pretty new yet. I havent seen any elk killed with the fpb either, just stories, including one being blown up on an elks elbow.

frontier gander said:
thors are pretty new yet. I havent seen any elk killed with the fpb either, just stories, including one being blown up on an elks elbow.

Care to share where you seen/heard that STORY? I haven't read or heard a bad story about a FPB yet, but there are hundreds of horror stories about the PowerBelt, and one I witnessed first hand.

No doubt the THOR is a good bullet being it is a Barnes, but you can only legally use a 247 grain for elk in Colorado. The FPB gives you a 100 grain, and now a 50 grain heavier option.

I haven't read one success story with a THOR on an elk yet, but I have read several with the FPB over the last two seasons.

I suspect he is talking about me. My shot this year on a cow elk entered the chest through the end of the humerous (just above the elbow). This is close to if not the heaviest bone in the body. The FPB shattered the bone and entered the chest dicing up the lung and penetrating the heart. The elk went 20 yards. The biggest piece of the bullet was probably about 50% of its original weight, and was the piece that penetrated the heart

I hate to think if I had hit in that place with a powerbelt. However, I suspect the thor might have done ok to but it would probably have shed its petals after hitting the bone.

I will probably stick with the 350 gr for elk, but for Texas whitetails and mule deer, I think the new FPB might be great, and cheaper than the thor by quite a bit.

247gr is MORE than enough for elk. If it were a lead bullet i would be iffy about using it but seeing how its solid copper, no problem on elk.

that story was directly from TX on his elk hunt from this fall.

Copper is just a better bullet material for holding up and retaining weight. They dont fragment on close range, high FPS shots or come apart on heavy bone. The next best is a BIG heavy lead conical without a hollow point.

"that story was directly from TX on his elk hunt from this fall

Thought so, but it is a great SUCCESS story. This bullet did as well as any 300 win mag bullet hitting the same place would have done.

frontier gander said:
247gr is MORE than enough for elk. If it were a lead bullet i would be iffy about using it but seeing how its solid copper, no problem on elk.

And you KNOW this how? I haven't heard of one THOR taking an elk yet, and by your admission neither have you. I am not saying they won't , but I think it is a stretch for you to say it is "MORE than enough for elk", when you have nothing to back up that statement.

that story was directly from TX on his elk hunt from this fall.

Sounds like the bullet did it's job an got into the boiler room to me. Lots of bullets shed weight on bone, it is the good bullets that continue on into the vitals and not pancake on the bone. You make it sound as if it blew up like a PowerBelt and never got past the bone like the one I witnessed.

Copper is just a better bullet material for holding up and retaining weight. They dont fragment on close range, high FPS shots or come apart on heavy bone. The next best is a BIG heavy lead conical without a hollow point.

There are also problems with all copper bullets when encountering heavy bone, they actually can cave in rather than open. They need fluid to open properly. I have killed elk with big heavy lead conicals, I know exactly how they work, and yes you don't need a hollow point. I have shot a 430 grain White Super Slug right through the socket below the base the base of the scapula on a bull elk, I am not sure how a 247 grain THOR would have done in the same situation. The lead conical plowed right on through the lungs, and he traveled 56 yards and fell over dead. I guess time will tell on the THOR.

bones.jpg

who says it isnt enough?

i'll be using the 247's on all of my hunts next year. Hopefully will have a bull tag this time around.

go to the thor website, hes taken an elk with the 300 and a BUFFALO 1900lbs with the 300gr thor.

I have 100% faith in the 247 thor for elk,bear, you name it.

50% give or take weight loss, it may as well been a powerbelt.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of the 300's. Can't wait to try them.

frontier gander said:
who says it isnt enough?

Nobody, obviously Terry O. dont know either, or you would think he would have one shot with a 250 on his site.

frontier gander said:
i'll be using the 247's on all of my hunts next year. Hopefully will have a bull tag this time around.

go to the thor website, hes taken an elk with the 300 and a BUFFALO 1900lbs with the 300gr thor.

My point exactly, 300 grainers. It really is too bad that Colorado has that stupid length restriction, that probably contributes to more wounded game than anything else in that state. I personally wouldn't hunt elk with a 250 grain bullet out of a muzzleloader, but that is me.

frontier gander said:
I have 100% faith in the 247 thor for elk,bear, you name it.

You said the same thing about PowerBelts, even when we all knew better. I think that 247 grainer would be a good deer bullet, but the 300 grainer would be a much better elk bullet.

frontier gander said:
50% give or take weight loss, it may as well been a powerbelt.

If that is the worst thing you can say about a FPB, since it actually continued into the vitals and killed the elk with a 20 yard recovery, I'll take that every time. Still haven't heard of a bad outcome with the FPB yet!

my opinion on powerbelts still is the same. I actually have more faith in them now with those inserts im trying out. This time, with 100gr RS. 245-295 not sure what i will use next.

My opinion on PowerBelts is still the same to, I wouldn't use them on anything bigger than a coyote.

I wouldn't recommend using the new 300 FPB on elk either, but it just might be a dandy deer bullet.

Latest posts

Back