sw 200 gr.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite sure what the question was, but if you mean do they work the answer is yes. The SW 50/40 200gr is one of the better long range bullets, the 200gr 50/40 XTP is widely used by people who want a bullet that will do a good job with reduced recoil and the new Lehigh 50/40 200gr can be push very hard to bring down very large game. Lee

They are super accurate out of my Optima Elite. Just tried BH209 and found a load that shot a .75" group at 100yds.

My gun/s (Savage and NEF's) shot the 250 SST's so well I never tried the Shockwave. Would love to hear any opinions.

My crew has used this bullet for many seasons with stellar results. We are now shooting ths bullet with 100 grs. to 110 grs of BH-209 in 5 different rifles.

The 200 gr. SW shoots about 6 inches flatter at 200 yards and the extra
velocity really does the DRT (dead right there).

Chocdog

I am not sure the 50/40 sabot did real good with the Savages, but it worked great in my NEF with about 85 gr of t7 2f. Last year I tried the 200 gr stt/sw and the 200 gr xtp in both my omega and my fathers encore with 100-120 gr of bh209 in both the mmp 50/40 and the harvester 50/40 sabots. In our guns the harvester had the slight edge in accuracy, with both guns shooting around 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100. The only deer we shot with the bullet last year was a button buck at about 120 yards. Hit in the heart and was DRT. I have a lot of the 250 gr sw's so I am going to use them up first, but will eventually go with the 200 gr. My father has already made the switch.

I shoot them in all my guns with BH209 just in the last year. Most accurate and flattest bullet yet. My daughter shot a deer last year is the only experience on game. The rest of my family will be using them but I shoot a Savage .50 and nobody can get the 200sw to shoot without drilling the sabots using smokeless powder. A lot of guy on the Savage board have changed to a custom .45 barrel and the 200sw is on of there favorite bullets.

vabowhntr said:
I am not sure the 50/40 sabot did real good with the Savages, but it worked great in my NEF with about 85 gr of t7 2f. Last year I tried the 200 gr stt/sw and the 200 gr xtp in both my omega and my fathers encore with 100-120 gr of bh209 in both the mmp 50/40 and the harvester 50/40 sabots. In our guns the harvester had the slight edge in accuracy, with both guns shooting around 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100. The only deer we shot with the bullet last year was a button buck at about 120 yards. Hit in the heart and was DRT. I have a lot of the 250 gr sw's so I am going to use them up first, but will eventually go with the 200 gr. My father has already made the switch.

Ok, just so Im up to speed. You are using the 200 gr. .400 dia. bullet in your .50 cal. Using a blue MMP sabot?? I have a savage but also a slew of NEF's with my own breechplugs. You say your NEF shot that combo well?
(50/.400). I heard that the shockwave is the same as the SST/Hornady..Anybody know?

choc-dog said:
My crew has used this bullet for many seasons with stellar results. We are now shooting ths bullet with 100 grs. to 110 grs of BH-209 in 5 different rifles.

The 200 gr. SW shoots about 6 inches flatter at 200 yards and the extra
velocity really does the DRT (dead right there).

Chocdog
Are you shooting 50 cal? You talking about the .400 dia. shockwave , right? What guns you talking about and do you know what velocities you are getting? Just cuirious.

bowbender6 said:
I shoot them in all my guns with BH209 just in the last year. Most accurate and flattest bullet yet. My daughter shot a deer last year is the only experience on game. The rest of my family will be using them but I shoot a Savage .50 and nobody can get the 200sw to shoot without drilling the sabots using smokeless powder. A lot of guy on the Savage board have changed to a custom .45 barrel and the 200sw is on of there favorite bullets.

I have a savage too. Are you saying the sabots get trashed when using them in the savage. that .400 bullet/sabot combo? There is also a .451 or .452 200 sw...Didnt think you mean that one.

Yes, they are 50 cal guns we are shooting them out of with a 50/40 cal sabot. I had good luck with my NEF Sidekick (less than 2" groups at 100) but really like them in my Omega and my fathers Encore. The SST/SW are about the same bullet, you may see a slight difference in the tips depending on when they were made, and they are different colors on the tip (red=sst, yellow=shockwave, both made by hornady). I don't recall the exact numbers, but I seem to recall that they were just under 2000fps with 100 gr of t7 or bh209. Some here have pushed them close to 2400fps with t7 in an omega. They are flat shooting, with a decent BC. I am even more interested in the FTX bullet for the 50/44 sabots in 265 gr. It seems like it would be a great long range bullet.

vabowhntr said:
Yes, they are 50 cal guns we are shooting them out of with a 50/40 cal sabot. I had good luck with my NEF Sidekick (less than 2" groups at 100) but really like them in my Omega and my fathers Encore. The SST/SW are about the same bullet, you may see a slight difference in the tips depending on when they were made, and they are different colors on the tip (red=sst, yellow=shockwave, both made by hornady). I don't recall the exact numbers, but I seem to recall that they were just under 2000fps with 100 gr of t7 or bh209. Some here have pushed them close to 2400fps with t7 in an omega. They are flat shooting, with a decent BC. I am even more interested in the FTX bullet for the 50/44 sabots in 260 gr. It seems like it would be a great long range bullet.

The b.c. of the .430" 265 gr. FTX is .225 versus .265 for the .400" 200 gr. sw. I have some 300 gr. .430's" xtps and green mmp HPH sabots I wanted to try. Their b.c. is actually .245. I heard the savage does not like them but I can try them in the NEF's. I always heard the thicker sabots dont generally do as well as the thinner ones.

Are you using the original NEF breechplug?

I was using the original breechplug until I sold it to a coworker. Had too many muzzys and needed the cash, now that the new BP is avail I really wish I had it back. It had the best trigger I have had on any muzzleloader, perhaps on any gun.

I hadn't checked, but I would have thought the 265 gr bullet to have a better BC. My interest in the FTX started when I found myself with 200 50/44 sabots and no bullets for them. Picked up some 240 gr xtps, but have not shot them yet.

Also thinking about some of the .358 FTX in my .45, but that will have to wait.

Too many bullets to try in my quest for the one. Truth is, everything I have tried from 158gr .357 bullets to the 460 NE Conicals has shot good enough to kill a deer every time out to 100 yards. But I have spent a lot of time and money trying to wring out the last half inch of accuracy. I am about ready to sell everything and just focus on my last White .451 with 460 gr conicals. That much lead has never failed me, and I have never had the chance to shoot a deer past 100 yards with a muzzleloader.

vabowhntr said:
I was using the original breechplug until I sold it to a coworker. Had too many muzzys and needed the cash, now that the new BP is avail I really wish I had it back. It had the best trigger I have had on any muzzleloader, perhaps on any gun.

I hadn't checked, but I would have thought the 265 gr bullet to have a better BC. My interest in the FTX started when I found myself with 200 50/44 sabots and no bullets for them. Picked up some 240 gr xtps, but have not shot them yet.

Also thinking about some of the .358 FTX in my .45, but that will have to wait.

Too many bullets to try in my quest for the one. Truth is, everything I have tried from 158gr .357 bullets to the 460 NE Conicals has shot good enough to kill a deer every time out to 100 yards. But I have spent a lot of time and money trying to wring out the last half inch of accuracy. I am about ready to sell everything and just focus on my last White .451 with 460 gr conicals. That much lead has never failed me, and I have never had the chance to shoot a deer past 100 yards with a muzzleloader.

Tinkering with different loads is a lot of fun but time consuming. There is just not enough time!

Back