a little fun day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Took the girl friend, brother in law and nephew out to the NRA yesterday evening. Took the Accura with 100gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209M primers. I loaded up the Accura with the pre production Thor II, Gave it a pop with the short starter and down she went. I have not figured out blackhorn209 yet. It seems to want 120+ grains to get my conicals to shoot good. My first group with the Thor II was 5" spread at 100 yards.

Next up i used 100gr Blackhorn 209 with the 245gr powerbelt and again, An allright group of 3" Jump this up to 120gr and the shots darn near touch.

I just wanted to get out there and do a little shooting and see how those Thor II's shot and most importantly, loaded on a fouled barrel.

My nephew was shooting the Accura as well with 80gr blackhorn 209 and the 245gr powerbelt. He drilled the bullseye on the first shot. He had a 6" spread after 3 shots.

I did try 3 shots with the Winchester W209 primers and on the 3rd shot, it hang fired. Went back to the CCI 209M and no problems whatsoever. The W209's just dont have the poop in 'em to give reliable ignition.

And most importantly... I used the new Stag seat! I was pretty darned comfy on it. Beats the heck out of the NRA's 3 legged, stool they offer us. Height was perfect for the rest. As for the rest, i am in need of something else. I dont like putting pressure on the forearm like i do now. I feel like it could be causing some accuracy concerns.
000_0779.jpg

Not sure if you can see in the pictures but i had always wondered why they had Two velcro strips. I found that its to hold the Sling Stix case on tightly and it also serves to have a solid hold on the rest. Just wrap it around the barrel and its rock solid.
000_0781.jpg

Nice range.

Im joing the STL benchrest shooters range soon and the Bullseye range after i complete an internship period.

Thats odd a Win209 gave you problems. Ive had one hang fire from them in over 3lbs of powder. Either your flash hole or channel is getting some residue or you might reconsider the vent liner mod.

Mine will fire any 209 except the WinT7 now with 100% ignition including in the rain.

I guess the BP vent liner mod isnt quite as hyped as someone mentioned (MountainDevil) on the hunting forum. ;) :D

So far Ive had no problems with my Accura and Bh209 and W209 primers. Always instant ignition. But Ive cleaned my BP after every 5-6 shots. My first time out at 50 yards I was punching one hole w/100g and 250g XTP in MMP black. Moved back to 100 yards today and my group spread to about 5 inches. Hope to get out tomorrow and go up on the load. Maybe I can shrink that group. Got some 300g FPBs comeing in the mail to try.

Hope to get out on the range tomorrow. Those W209's are not on my to use list with BH209 but with APP-JSG They are my favorite.

I'll see what i can do with 120-130gr BH209 with the 245 powerbelt.

Sounds like a fun day.
With the moded breachplug I shot 25-30 rounds at my Monday range session and used the w-209 primers.No problems. with my old bp I did have trouble.

On the Blackhorn 209 website they recommend Winchester 209,CCI 209, Federal 209,Cheddite and Remington.
They say not to use Win T-7,CCI 209Mlz,Remington kleen bore and Federal Fusion 209.
Moose1

why

Why are you pushng that bullet so hard? It is my understanding that they perform better at lower velocities. Now FG I ain't agin you in this, I am only asking because you happen to have shot a bunch of PB's, built some tools to improve them and have experience beyond what a lot of these guys have w/ them. I will continue shooting XTP/Mags and you know what the rap is on them. I am interested in your against the grain logic w/ this bullet.

Thats what charge the 245gr powerbelts shoot best with. And like you said, i made that tool for the powerbelt inserts, so i will be using them if i shoot that load this year. Most likely though, i will be using the thor conicals.

Back