First time ever shootin a ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankhead

Reaction score
Well, took my new .50 cal Omega out yesterday. WOW! These really throw some smoke. Gave the barrel a good cleanin w/ Butch's Bore Shine and made up 27 Lanes tubes of Triple7 ffg the night before. (9)90gr, (9)100gr and (9)110gr.

Shootin at my friends ranch out the barn doors he already had a back-stop measured out to 100 yards. So I just started from there. Capped two primers then started with the 90gr and worked my way up to the 110 gr. Shot a total of 21 times. Used up the 5 ShockWaves 250gr that came w/ the rifle, then 16 of the Hornaday's 250 gr SST Low Drag's. About the first ten shots were just gettin on paper w/ the scope. It was level but started out shootin about 12" left. I need to go back and read up on MOA. Had to put about 30 clicks right before I got her sighted in. And yes I did hit a perfect ZERO w/ 2 more follow up shots within 1/2" before the wind came up. Steady 20mph with additional gusts. Mostly coming right at us but w/ a little cross wind at times. After that shootin within 2 1/2" so I shut it down for the day. I was gonna take the targets to show but he had put one target over the first. And he was shootin his AR-15 at the last anyways.

I gradually got more confident workin my loads, using the ramrod and cleaning the crud-ring w/ Windex after every shot. My only questions are gettin it ready for next weekend w/ the weather slated to be in the 70's. With 21 shots should I remove the Breech Plug for cleaning? And, can/should I do that without removing the barrel from the stock?

I want to thank everyone for their input in getting me off to, in my view, a good start (i.e., ML, components, supplies,...). And this site for all the info available for searches. Been doin a lot of that. :D :D

I gradually got more confident workin my loads, using the ramrod and cleaning the crud-ring w/ Windex after every shot. My only questions are gettin it ready for next weekend w/ the weather slated to be in the 70's. With 21 shots should I remove the Breech Plug for cleaning? And, can/should I do that without removing the barrel from the stock?

I am not sure I am following your question so I will answer it this way;
You took the gun home after the 21 shots. You broke the rifle down, taking the breech plug out. And then you cleaned the rifle completely.

After that, you put new tape on the CLEANED breech plug, or anti seize, and reassembled the clean rifle. You now have the rifle clean the barrel oiled to protect it. So when you get ready to shoot the next time, take a Windex patch and swab the bore to remove the oil in the bore. Then a couple of dry patches down the bore. Now pop a couple 209 primers and you should be ready to shoot. When you shoot the second time just swab the barrel. No need to take the breech plug out until you are ready to clean the rifle after that shooting session.

cayuga said:

I am not sure I am following your question so I will answer it this way;
You took the gun home after the 21 shots. You broke the rifle down, taking the breech plug out. And then you cleaned the rifle completely.

After that, you put new tape on the CLEANED breech plug, or anti seize, and reassembled the clean rifle. You now have the rifle clean the barrel oiled to protect it. So when you get ready to shoot the next time, take a Windex patch and swab the bore to remove the oil in the bore. Then a couple of dry patches down the bore. Now pop a couple 209 primers and you should be ready to shoot. When you shoot the second time just swab the barrel. No need to take the breech plug out until you are ready to clean the rifle after that shooting session.

No, I haven't done any of that yet. That was pretty much my question. Is do need to break down the rifle completely for cleaning after 21 shots? Or can I just wait til after next weekends shootin (20 or so shots) to clean the breech plug? Can I just do the barrel today w/o having to remove the breech plug? And do/should I separate the barrel from the stock to clean the breech plug? Thanks!

Clean it! Put on some good music, or a good radio station and take your time and get er clean. I've really gotten so I enjoy that time alone with my gun and it helps you get to know them real good.
Art
________
Eckankar dicussion

Yes you should break down the gun for a total cleaning as black powder and black powder substitutes are very corrosive T7 not as bad but yes still corrosive. You should clean you new ml even after one shot. It is easiest to remove that breech plug at the range while the barrel is still warm and clean entire gun ASAP

IMO if you shot T7, i would clean the breach plug as soon as possible. If you never removed it before the shooting it might have been dry or close to dry.

T7 can be tough on plug threads and a PITA to break loose without proper cleaning/sealing and cracking them loose every 20 rounds or so is a good idea too.

I like teflon tape but for T7 i prefer the same Permatex anti sieze i use on engine exhaust studs for my motorcycle. Its never failed me but it is messy.

Thank you, gentlemen. Got it done. The BP broke free fairly easily. I thought I was gonna have to struggle w/ it after seeing your posts. And I was surprised the threads were as clean as they were. Only the first thread had a tiny bit of residue on it. I let it soak in Hoppe's #9 for a few hours while I cleaned the barrel w/ Butch's Bore Shine. I don't have a nipple pick yet so I used a small needle for the flash hole. The barrel & BP look great now. Some light Rem Oil down the barrel, lubed the BP and she's ready for next weekend. :D

Hoppes#9 is not needed for triple 7 powder, save it for blackhorn209 or smokeless. It will cleanup with water, but I prefer a commercial cleaner like "Mean Green" or "409" or lately I have used a orange based cleaner, that is all you need. I also put this on several patches and wipe out the bore/barrel and soak the breechplug in it while cleaning the barrel. Use a bore brush to get the rifling clean too. Wipe it all out till you have a clean patch then use any good bore protectant. Rem oil, BC Sheath, or Butches is good.

Remember to use alcohol patches to remove the oil prior to shooting again as the oil based products will cause more crud ring and gunk to clog up the rifling.

For an extended range session I'd take the barrel off the stock and clean under that area and the trigger assembly as well.

Your on the right track, enjoy!!

Back