winchester apex 45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magbolt150

Reaction score
does anybody own one of these? how do they shoot? is this a magnum (didnt say magnum on barrel)?

magbolt150

The Winchester Apex is another BPI/CVA product, but as I was corrected last time it does come with a real Stainless barrel it is not nickel.

CVA has placed limiting restrictions on it 100 grains loose powder max and 300 grain bullet as max. in the 50 caliber. Which is probably all you need anyway. You could load 150 grain pellet loads however.

But when they first came out the Apex was suppose to be a decent shooter. They did not stay on the market very long to really get established.

AWESOME shooters! 70-80gr Pyrodex P with 275 or 385gr paper patch conical game me 1" groups @ 100 yards. Mine seemed to be powder picky and shot best with Pyro P.

240gr maxiball also shot excellent but required a felt wad on top of the powder.

I have two buddys who shoot The Winchester Apex (made by CVA) .45
They have excellent Moa at 100 yds they are shooting Precision bullets .357 with 90 gr Last year sportsman guide had them on sale for 160 I bought one
Just got out to shoot it last week The bore on the gun seemed to be quite loose so I tried .41 cal XTP with 110 gr 777ff shot sub moa at 100 yds with the harvester blue sabot The gun shot the best with a clean barrel
Only would shoot 3 times then clean the barrel to get the sub moa I always try to match bullet and sabot before I shoot at the range I like them to go down snug Take the breech plug out and try different combos till
you get a snug fit then go shoot

Wouldn't it be great if you could walk into a store with a m/l barrel (or the whole rifle), pay $5 or similar, and be presented a tray of various bullets and sabots so that you could find that nice fitting combo for your particular barrel? The bullets could be used any number of times, the sabots only once, but if the effort took an average of 12 attempts - cost to the store would that of 12 sabots.

The price could be such that the store would most certainly make a profit and the customer would potentially save a heap compared to blind experimentation buying components.

Vendors such as Hornady could easily set up a nice package for the retailers to provide such a service.

magbolt150

When I first wrote that information in response to request about the Apex - I was thinking Winchester X-150 in my mind. Still most of the information is correct. Other than they are a nickel plated barrel rather than stainless.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=420404

One thing that I would add is the Apex is more or less a copy of the TC Omega - it it will offer a closed breech system that you could then shoot BH-209 from if that interests you.

http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/art ... /1397.html

Winchester Apex never came with a nickel barrel. As usual, the hunting store hasnt a clue what the barrel is. But it is a true stainless barrel.

They got the info under the picture screwed up, but the correct info is listed in the main article.

Shoot better:

* Fixed trigger; pull preset 3 lbs.
* Internal hammer block safety
* Fully adjustable, metallic fiber optic sights
* Winchester? muzzleloading sling
* Barrel length: 30"; overall: 46"
* 1:28" rate of twist
* Available in .45 or .50-caliber
* Blued or stainless barrel available
* Weighs 8 lbs., 6 ozs.

"save a heap" :lol: ... UC, you must have picked that one up when you lived in Darlington Co.

I dont have a 45 but i do have a Win Apex 50 and it is a stainless barrel. Part of the action is nickel.

Overall its a good gun for the money and simple to clean. Trigger is average or better. Blowback is minimal with 100gr charges but not as good as my Accura.

Its basically the same gun as a CVA Kodiak Magnum Pro. The Pros offered stainless barrels also. The non pro version was offered in nickel and blued.

The stock and recoil pad are a bit better than many of the more expensive options.

Mine ignites BH209 just fine but i keep charges to 100gr max. T7 Pellets gave me fits with the crud ring.

I dont know what price you are looking at paying but right now Cabelas has the Accura starting at $239. The same price i paid for my Win Apex a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back