Went hog hunting and pulled a DOUBLE! **PICS and Story**

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWThomas said:
Busta said:
Technically she isn't a hog or a sow. She is a immature PIG that is called a GILT. She wouldn't be considered a sow until she is either mature, or has had a litter of pigs. You don't see Barrow's in the wild, unless they have had an unfortunate accident. :lol: That is how domestic boars are made to taste good as market hogs, by making them Barrows (castration). Some might enjoy the following terms?

Learning About Pigs and Hogs

Barrow - a male pig that has been castrated or neutered when young. This is done so that the meat from male pigs can be eaten. (Meat from boar pigs has a strong odor and taste that is much different than meat from barrow pigs.)

Boar - male or father pig.

Farrow - when a sow gives birth to pigs.

Feeder pig - young pig that is ready to be fed and get ready for the market. Feeder pigs weigh from 40 to 120 pounds.

Gilt - young female hog, usually under 12 months of age and has never had a litter of pigs.

Hog - pig that weighs over 125 pounds, a grown pig.

Litter - a group of offspring born at the same time by one sow; most litters have between six and ten pigs.

Market Hog - a hog that is ready for market. Market hogs usually weigh from 190 to 240 pounds.

Packing Plant - place where hogs are slaughtered, cleaned, and cut into pork chops, bacon, and roasts for the supermarket.

Pig - immature swine weighing less than 120 pounds.

Piglet - new born pigs.

Pork - meat from pigs.

Sow - mature female or mother hog

Swine - a pig or hog, generally used collectively.

Wean - to take the pigs away from their mother (sow) so they are not able to get milk.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/nace/oxhi/swinei.htm

You know how to use Google! Cool! :D

It was easier than typing it up myself. We have raised thousands of pigs for market hogs, and made a lot of Barrows along the way. I think cayuga knows exactly what I am talking about. Have had my dealings with several Boars, and some damned ornery Sows when weaning the feeder pigs. I sure as hell aint no city slicker, that is for sure. :lol:

Just a FYI, farrowing Sows like Rock'n'Roll music, while the dairy cows always seemed to prefer Country. Imagine that! :wink:

Busta ... I know exactly what your saying. :D A hog is a dangerous animal. Even the calm ones you don't trust as they will turn for no reason. A wild one must be pure evil.

Although a neighbor's daughter had a pedegree Hamphsire sow she showed for 4H.. that pig was like a dog. It would follow her around, and come when she called.

The one farmer I used to work for had himself a little Australian Blue Healer dog.. Most unfriendly dog I ever was around. Now that little devil would lay siege to a hog and just nip that hog until he made it behave. He'd get flipped in the air once in a while but if you wanted to see a happy dog, let him move hogs. He was lightening on four legs and them hogs were scared to death of him.

big6x6 said:
Way to go Spencer! I'm jealous!!

Thanks Chuck! I'm half tempted to buy myself a Hawkin and start laying them out with round balls. :wink:

SWThomas said:
big6x6 said:
Way to go Spencer! I'm jealous!!

Thanks Chuck! I'm half tempted to buy myself a Hawkin and start laying them out with round balls. :wink:

You do that and you'll never look back. Something about taking game w/a sidelock that changes a man. :wink:

Soon your gun room will look like caugyad's. It's a disease I'm tellin' ya.

Back