Boncarbo Tom!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
Man some story! Today around 4 PM i went outside with my .54 Hawken and camera. I had planned to take some pictures of it and just turned the camera on and.

GOOOOGGBLE GOOOBBBBLE!! came from a distance in the the part of the property. I haul butt into the house and tear apart the closet looking for my box call and went out calling this tom in for well over an hour. I did not shoot the tom as i dont have a tag nor did i have the intentions of shooting him. I wanted to decoy him and any others onto the property and my brother and i had cleared a bunch of it and grass was popping up all over.

So i get set up and am calling, hes gobbling his head off but will not come in. Hes around 100+ yards away and so i figured what the heck, i can easily slip into range and maybe get a couple shots with the camera of him. then i noticed im wearing my slippers

What the hell, im not turning back now! I slipped off quietly into the brush and made a circle around and hit the box call and he just goes nuts! I figured maybe hes 60 yards away. This oak brush is thick and almost impossible to see through.

I reposistioned myself into the thick stuff and left a nice opening to my right and started calling and when he gobbled i about passed out as he had snuck up within 30 yards and was coming on hard! I could hear him running and then i hear some russling in the brush in front of me. Couldnt see squat!

I gave the calling a break and then i saw his bright red head 15 yards in front of me! I couldnt hear myself think because the blood was pumping so hard inside of me.

He was having a hard time getting t o where i was as he didnt want to pass under some brush. I hit the call and on he came! I got a perfect shot of him within an easy 10 yard shot. He never saw me or anything! I was wearing bright blue jeans, a black t shirt and a shaved head that glares like a babies rear end.

Time for a smoothie BP shotgun :cry:

And time to start making a list of seed to buy and get started on a turkey plot!

With all that calling and moving around the only thing you'll have come to you in SC is a swarm of skeeters... :lol: Nice job of counting coup though... I gotta plan me a trip out west for a Merriam!

im gonna go pick out a spot to plant turkey food! They seem to stick in the thicker stuff so i m going to start cutting a new trail right through the stuff and plant chufaf and maybe clover.
hawken025.jpg

Back