$99 for original knight disc rifle? good price?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magbolt150

Reaction score
just wondering if this is good price for original knight disc rifle its 50 cal and camo stock. nickel barrel. how do these guns shoot?

magbolt150 said:
just wondering if this is good price for original knight disc rifle its 50 cal and camo stock. nickel barrel. how do these guns shoot?

I dont think they are nickel (stainless) AND they can be converted to the newer disc bolt and breach plug system.

IMO ...if its in good shape....get it!!!

I own one of them original disc rifles that uses the orange primer jackets. I dare you to find a better shooting rifle. The problem you might find is the orange jackets are getting harder to come across. But they are out there. I think Knight rifle still sells them (but I bought five hundred of them one day and have not bought the jackets in a long time).

You can knock the old 209 out of the orange primer jackets and load them again. You might get up to three shots out of them before they are junk.

My original disc is a powder hog. 120 grains of Pyrodex RS and a Barnes MZ Expander and that thing will flat out shoot. I admit I do not shoot it a lot because of the primer jackets, but if I were looking for a hunting rifle I would look no further.

Like mentioned, I think they sell a conversion to make it shoot the red primer jackets and I think even just a 209 primer. If I ever find one of them conversions on sale, I might jump on that just to have it.

how do you dissasemble the bolt of this disc rifle... i took it out to clean it and now it wont go back in the gun..... :cry: sorry prolly a noob mistake.... please help!!!!

Does this one have the C tool? Mine uses a C tool. On the back of the rear safety you screw that open, put in the C tool and then tighten it past what you think is normal. This moves the firing pin back. After that there is a small screw on the side you take out. The bolt can then be removed and the bolt assembly will come apart for you to clean the spring, and firing pin.

To reassemble, you put all that back in place and then there is a part of the bolt that must line up exactly to the bolt to let it slide back into place.

Go to Knight Rifle.com and there are manuals that you can download. It will explain it much better then I can. Not knowing what you did, I really can not tell you how to fix it. And if you actually took the bolt apart without uncocking it.. Well you have a problem.

were can i get this c tool? i bought my rifle at a pawn shop.... didnt come with the c tool.

Some of the Original Disc rifles needed a C tool and some did not. You have to check the manual to see if your rifle is one of them. I suggest you down load the manual and read it. For a C tool you have to contact Knight Rifles.

Sounds like the mistake i made.

The firing pin assembly might be screwed into the bolt too far since you removed it but wont go back in.

Try unscrewing the firing pin assembly from the bolt roughly 1 turn from all the way in, then see if it will go back in. It might be a bit less than 1 full turn.

Im not familiar with the Original Disc but it was the mistake on mine. Cabelas assembled mine that way and it barely came out. I thought the bolt or firing pin was bad.

As soon as i backed it out a little bit, all was well :D

SabotLoader walked me though it and saved it a trip to Knight.

finally got it back together, just turned the bolt a bit.... thanks for all the help.

magbolt150 said:
finally got it back together, just turned the bolt a bit.... thanks for all the help.

Congratulations

Like i said it happens. Im glad it turned out ok

Have a good one

Scott

cayuga said:
I own one of them original disc rifles that uses the orange primer jackets. I dare you to find a better shooting rifle. The problem you might find is the orange jackets are getting harder to come across. But they are out there. I think Knight rifle still sells them (but I bought five hundred of them one day and have not bought the jackets in a long time).

You can knock the old 209 out of the orange primer jackets and load them again. You might get up to three shots out of them before they are junk.

My original disc is a powder hog. 120 grains of Pyrodex RS and a Barnes MZ Expander and that thing will flat out shoot. I admit I do not shoot it a lot because of the primer jackets, but if I were looking for a hunting rifle I would look no further.

Like mentioned, I think they sell a conversion to make it shoot the red primer jackets and I think even just a 209 primer. If I ever find one of them conversions on sale, I might jump on that just to have it.

Off topic, but do you happen to know if you can re-use the red primer jackets? I always throw them away without looking at their condition, it never ocurred to me that I could recycle them.

I drilled a hole in wood a little bigger then the primer and then counter sunk one to hold the primer. Then I take a nail that I ground the head flat, and drive the old primers out.

On the red jackets I have got up to five shots off them. The orange I can get two or three before they start to stretch and tear.

I reuse the red FPJs maybe 2 times. 3 shots total for the range only.

I could probably get more shots but i have about 300 new ones so....

Really hot loads or mag primers can be a factor too. Using 120gr of BH209, CCI209Ms and a heavy bullet your results may vary.

Good tips, thanks. Even if I only get two shots apiece re-using the reds that cuts the cost in half. Until the NFPJ conversions are perfected this makes range sessions a lot more economical.

Yes the red disc can be reused. I use my MEC shotshell reloader to knock out the used primers and then run them in the dish washer to clean them up. Then I use my shotshell loader to reprime them with fresh 209 primers. You can use them for up to 10 times maybe more. I don't worry about using old disc for even hunting, it just flat out works. Tobby Bridges wrote me that he ran an experiment on trying to find out how many times you could reuse them. Got tired of it before he found out.

Back