Looking To Buy A New Compound

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used most top brands.....none of them will make a shooter out you without proper form. I really like all the new parallel limbs designs but isn't it kind of funny that most competitive scoring records were shot using the old models? I have watched Cousins, Hopkins, Despart, Wallace etc........these guys can shoot...It doesn't matter what bow they hold.

mcrik

Having the right bow in your hand builds confidence! When that final moment comes...two things come together...your practice and your confidence. You need BOTH. I'll take those over luck any day.

You also need a brand you can count on. One that has exemplary customer service, that can turn that bow or part around in a couple of days, NOT a couple of weeks, and one that is not plagued with limb problems, riser problems, or pulley designs that shear cables.
In other words...DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE.
Get on archerytalk.com and hear first hand what bows have what problems, then pick two or three of the best a shoot them. At this step they can all be made to shoot quieter by many means, so just consider which one you shoot the best.
Remember....CONFIDENCE, and PRACTICE are key.
Shoot what you shoot best...

Also, when you shoot bows at dealers, have them set up the bow for your draw length, and have the peep and sight set for you. Then spend a little time getting used to each.

One thing is for sure...when Magilla walks under my tree, I want my thoughts to be, "you are dead meat" NOT " I hope I don't blow this shot"

IMHO..the most important element.... have a competent person fit you.

mcrik

Count me as one who also strongly as possible recommends you shoot as many different bows as you can find, and under no cercomestance buy a bow without shooting it allot first, no matter how good a deal it might be.

You were also given excellent advice in recommending you have some one who actually knows bows, just not thinks, but knows help fit you. Most of the pro shops I have been to over the years are populated with guys who tried to be far better salesmen than bow techs. I have only ever found one so called pro shop bow technician that actually knew the correct way to determine your draw length.

Sorry I can not recommend a bow maker or model to you, but I stopped buying new bows when they cost $150 more than my SST/SYN M700 in 338wm. My last bow I bought at close out for $125 that cost new $589 two years previously. Give the www.bowsite.com a try. They have a board spacificly dedicated to compound bows and related equipment there that I feel is among the best on the net. Should get all the info you need there.

Good luck with your selection.

Checkout www.athensarchery.com . I just got rid of a Hoyt AlphaMax and ordered one of these bows last week since I will be a 2010 Field Staff shooter for them. I have a 32" Accomplice on the way, all black with Carbon Fiber limbs. 8) They also have the Accomplice in a 34" model. 7" Brace Height and over 330fps. I know some dealers and could get you one in the low $600 range.

I have always shot Hoyt bows. I had a Hoyt Tenacity for 13 years then sold it for a Hoyt Ultra Mag a few years ago.

over the last 3 years I've had mathews - bowtech - pse - ross and have finally found what I consider possibly the best shooting bows - Smooth - Quiet - fast - and accurate "Elite" bows are fantastic and have a life time warranty

Back