.54 GPR FL and.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
T/C .58 cal Big Bore!

I got to go to the range this past Wednesday...and it has taken me until TODAY to write it up! :oops:

I took both my Lyman .54 Great Plains Rifle flintlock and T/C .58 cal Big Bore to the range. Both rifles are USED but are new to ME! :D

The GPR came to me with fiber optic aftermarket sights on it I guess installed by the original owner. I don't care for such sights on traditional rifles so I contacted Lyman concerning some replacements of the originals and they got them to me in short order. Boy do I hate removing/installing iron sights! Talk about a pain in the A$$! I got 'em on there and eyeballed them as best I could. I set up targets at 30 and 60 yards and got the GPR set up to shoot first. I used Swiss fffg in the pan and Swiss ffg down the barrel with a Hornady .530 ball and .018 pillow ticking patch.

img_0369%20_2_.jpg

You know...Lyman Great Plains Hunter/Rifles are sure nice looking rifles IMO. I think they are about as close as one can get to "the way it was back then." They just look great!

I swabbed with a clean dry patch and fired one squib load then loaded up with 80gr ffg Swiss and fffg in the pan. That 60yd target was just sitting there and I decided what the heck...I'll just shoot the first shot at it. Low and behold I HIT it! I continued to shoot five more shots without even so much as TOUCHING the SIGHTS! Swabbing between shots with Ballistol/water, I shot a pretty good group if I do say so myself! Group was about like the one I shot with the Traditions Hawkin Woodsman F/L but certainly not as good as my T/C PA Hunter FL will shoot! :wink:

IMG_0374.JPG

More than likely...this rifle will be the next rifle I shoot a hog with...I'll play with loads a little bit(may even try some WANO) but I feel like the patch/ball fit was about RIGHT! Average velocity for the above load was 1706fps which is pretty much hauling a$$!

Next up was the T/C Big Bore .58! Boy was I EXCITED to shoot this rifle! The person I bought it from said he didn't think it had even been shot. I looked at all areas and IF it's been shot..it hasn't been shot much! I figured if it HAD been shot...it should be pretty close at 60yds so I changed targets and decided to shoot the 60yd target again. I loaded up with a .570 Hornady RB/.015 Wonderpatch and again 80gr ffg Swiss. THIS time I wasn't so lucky! It didn't hit the target. So I swabbed and loaded up again and took a crack at the 30yd target and just BARELY hit the top left corner! With the sight adjustment THAT far off it is hard for me to believe this rifle has ever been shot! I moved the rear sight a good bit lower and to the right and got it shooting thru the bull at 30yds then shot at 60yds. AGAIN just hitting the top left corner. I shot three shots and moved the sight after each shot THEN shot four shots without touching the sights. I was NOT pleased with the group!

IMG_0375.JPG

At 60yds they SHOULD have all been no larger than the bull at WORST. This rifle is going to need some more work...ball/patch fit was tight and seemed to be just right! I WILL admit that the barrel was getting pretty HOT! AGAIN... I'll try a different powder charge and may try some WANO blackpowder. At least I have the sights close for next time! Average velocity for the 278gr roundball was 1482 fps.

img_0370%20_2_.jpg

img_0372%20_2_.jpg

Way to go Big6. That BigBore may just need a little breaking-in to tighten up the groups. Since you were swabbing with Ballistol/water, I assume you were using the same for the patch lube?

I agree with you with respect to the looks and feel of the Great Plains. I sho` do like mine, and I favor the 54 & 58 also. I favor olive oil for patch lube. My general feeling is that in-lines are interesting but big bore sidelocks are FUN.

Those are 2 good looking rifles. The only thing wrong with a big bore is the amount of powder used. I bought a can of goex 3f last wednesday and it cost me $24. Sometimes I miss that little 32 Crockett I had, 30 grains of powder a shot goes a long way.
I believe that T/C would look even nicer with a brasss ramrod hanging under the barrel, what do you think?

big6x6

Chuck, glad to see that you were able to get out and get some recreational time in.

While agree that the Lyman looks nice... I still gotta say even thought the 'Big Bore' is with the new single trigger Renegade stock... Dang! it is a good looker...

Hoping to get out to the farm this week some time to send a few shots down range. Want to shoot a new bullet from the DISC Ext. and I want to push a few sabots down range with one of my Renegades...

I will use one of the Renegades in December in an elk ML season here in Idaho...

Keep shooting and relaxing.... "any day @ the range is a better day than being @ work"

I like the Lyman also, but I don't get along well with flinters. Have had several over the years and always end up selling them because they never get shot.

Latest posts

Back