JB Bore Paste---New Barrell?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well first thing is you want lapping compound.
The next is don't do it if you do not need to. Not all guns need to be polished, If you have trouble loading the second shot with Blackhorn or after swabbing with some other powder or if you push a cotton ball through the bore and little bits hang up in the bore then you may well need to use lapping compound. I recommend trying the gun with about 50 conicals first to break it in then if you have any of the typical problems caused by a rough bore consider lapping.

I agree with Lee.

Get you a package of Great Plains conicals and maybe a box of .490 round balls and .015" shooting patches and go have a wonderful day shooting those at reduced charges - something in the line of 60 to 75gr of 777 or equivalent. Then go home and give the thing a massive cleaning job. THEN try shooting the bullets you want to hunt or at least work with. 90% of the time this will prep a muzzleloading bore perfectly - plus is gives you a chance to get very familiar with the gun right off the bat.

KatsHunter

I highly recommend that you polish your bore with JB's.... Read and follow the directions on the bottle.

I ran a hundred stokes on my Triumph and it went not being able to load much of anything to being to load all of my normal loads.

When i say 100 strokes I mean oil a patch apply JB's and with your cleaning jag run 25 strokes with that patch on one side flip and run another 25 strokes.... full strokes from the top to the bottom...

JB's is not really a lapping compound - it is really fine and non-embedding - what it does is polishes the bore while removing burrs left from the machining.

I use to fire lap mine with conicals - but running the JB's hae really worked well for me.

sabotloader said:
KatsHunter

I highly recommend that you polish your bore with JB's.... Read and follow the directions on the bottle.

I ran a hundred stokes on my Triumph and it went not being able to load much of anything to being to load all of my normal loads.

When i say 100 strokes I mean oil a patch apply JB's and with your cleaning jag run 25 strokes with that patch on one side flip and run another 25 strokes.... full strokes from the top to the bottom...

JB's is not really a lapping compound - it is really fine and non-embedding - what it does is polishes the bore while removing burrs left from the machining.

I use to fire lap mine with conicals - but running the JB's hae really worked well for me.
.........I do this to every rifle,used or new and believe it really helps not only loading but the cleanup after shooting too..........karl

I think JB is very good when needed. Is this an unfired gun? With a tight fit you also have the 'low-drag' & 'easy-glide' sabots available. They go in better with the tight bores. I always clean any gun, new or used before shooting it. You may as well join the rest of us with Blackhorn 209 powder if you want to make life easier. Just use the appropriate primer & read the other B209 details.

I just cleaned my new Triumph. The Shockwaves were not bad at all to get down. Straight out the box got 1 inch groups at 100y.

It made a positive difference in loading, accuracy, and ease of cleaning of my new Triumph and my friend's new Encore.

If time permits, do it before heading out to the range.

My $0.02

Jim

Here is a link that shows the steps in polishing a barrel - which includes pouring boiling water into the bore to first remove any oils and shavings, then steps to polish it, and boiling water again afterwards. I did this to a new .22 rifle that I bought last spring prior to ever shooting it and it's as accurate as anything in my gun cabinet.

I plan to get a new Triumph this year and I will follow this polishing procedure before I ever shoot it. Good luck.

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/lapbore1.htm

Lapping a bore ... I used to give any rifle a very light lap with water soluble valve grinding compound. I mean very light. This was to remove the burrs etc.

Now I use JB Paste instead. I find it really smooths out a barrel. And will not damage the bore.

I will not shoot the gun until over the summer. I just ran some patches on Hoppes 9 down the barrel. So will it be ok to run some dry patches then polish with 100 strokes of JB's?

KatsHunter

I just ran some patches on Hoppes 9 down the barrel. So will it be ok to run some dry patches then polish with 100 strokes of JB's?

Yes, it would be OK... but maybe before you run the JB's do you have a bullet and sabot that you could push all the way throught gun just to see what it feels like? If you do remove the breech plug and push everthing all the way through.

When you complete running your JB strokes you will need to really clean the bore again and make sure that you oil it if you are going to store it for awhile.

Back