Knight KRB with BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedog

Reaction score
Anyone know.....anyone try the KRB with BH209? Will the KRB with the standard breech plug function reliably with BlackHorn 209?
Thanks!

Several have tried, but I haven't heard of anyone that could do it reliably.

Yours and my best hope for the KRB is to get the new Black Mag powder when it is available. It is as clean or cleaner than BH209 and a lot easier to ignite. It should start showing up on shelves in the next month or two. It has been taken over by MDM and has been improved from the BM3 version that was by Magkor.

Like many others, I tried very hard to make BH209 work in my KRB. I got constant hangfires with it, even after drilling out the breechplug. The only way I could get instant ignition was by using a duplex load, with about 5 grains of FFFG Goex blackpowder dropped down the bore before the BH209 charge was dropped. It worked and shot accurately and left the bore as clean as with BH209 alone.

At this point I have reserved my KRB for iron sight use with blackpowder and heavy lead conicals, and it is a dandy rifle for that purpose.

Sorry I am late to this thread but I just joined the Forum. I had concerns with my KRB and BH209 and did have several failures to fire and hang fires during my load investigation efforts. What I found was a tight fitting sabot load was required and if properly seated on the charge it fired every time. I ended up with a 110 grain charge and the Knight green sabot 240 gr JHP bullet combo and Winchester 209's. This provided great accuracy and consistent firing with the BH209.
I hunted with the KRB the entire rifle season, killed one doe at extremely close range and then left the gun loaded the entire balance of the season. It fired flawlessly on the last day when a final doe presented itself.
I guess I can say I was happy, yet I still have concerns and wish Knight would devise a replacement breech plug to assure BH209 ignition with any sabot load.

Not likely that Knight will do any additional development on the KRB since they are stopping rifle production this year. If anyone develops a breechplug that is more consistent with BH209 it is likely that it will be an independent like the ones being made for the NEF Huntsman rifles that make it great without any carriers and consistent ignition with BH209.

Latest posts

Back