2019 muzzleloader hunts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I both got lucky and harvested these whitetail on or ranch. She used a .50ca Knight Wolverine to down the 20" buck @ 85 yards. I used a 58ca Navy Arms replica of the 1841 Mississippi rifle to take the 19 3/4" buck @ 35 yards with three minutes of legal shooting time remaining. My wife did the euro mounts.
In the past some of you may remember when I talked about wool sacks for game covers. They are not made out of wool but what we used to put wool in back before the used of plastic. They are the best for airing the meat and keeping flies off.
My wife with her buck she bagged in one of our alfalfa fields.
bzzgbKd.jpg
002.JPG004.JPG
009.JPG
Our buck are almost identical except hers has three tines on the right side. Look at the euro mounts she did.

Some earlier mulie bucks by our barn.

4oPe2Wx.jpg

W43Sobm.jpg

4CxjuwM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an amazing buck you're pictured with. Congratulations to both of you.

Great buck and dang nice Euro mounts of both of them, thanks for sharing. My wife hunts too, and she took 2 does this year, I managed to get my 4 max. We live a self sustainable lifestyle and utilize every scrap of meat.

You should be in Utah - lots of game animals, these folks are really into their hunting, fishing and survival stuff. This neighborhood is considered upper middle class I'm told (we don't bother with status crap, just keep our heads down and the place locked down). The neighbor next door and one down the street have bunkers under their garages fully loaded, event a small butcher shop - now that part is pretty neat. He has friends coming and going during hunting seasons or fishing seasons using his facility for their meat. You don't want to go near his trash on pickup day .... :cheers:

buck conner.jpg

My wife and I both got lucky and harvested these whitetail on or ranch. She used a .50ca Knight Wolverine to down the 20" buck @ 85 yards. I used a 58ca Navy Arms replica of the 1841 Mississippi rifle to take the 19 3/4" buck @ 35 yards with three minutes of legal shooting time remaining. My wife did the euro mounts.
In the past some of you may remember when I talked about wool sacks for game covers. They are not made out of wool but what we used to put wool in back before the used of plastic. They are the best for airing the meat and keeping flies off.
The bag looks similar to burlap. We used to buy grain in burlap sacks.

No deer to post but here's a photo of my biggest turkey.
883af84f-ff28-4f2b-af27-68a02523298e-zps4b8fb7b8.jpg

Interesting that the wool growers switched to plastic. My wife won't allow plastic near the wool stuff she knits, or her stash of wool fiber, or her wool yarn, on pain of DEATH! :eek:

~WH~

those are some beautiful animals you harvested and have on your ranch. Your wife did a Great job on the mounts. love those European mounts. I assume she boiled them?

Boiling is the easy part, then the work begins. She has done many of them and turkeys too.

The wool sack is burlap. A little work with grandads old sack sewing needle and you can have a sack big enough for moose. We have used these sacks for game and domestic animals since I was a kid.

John

Okay, okay that wasn't a deer so I'll post this photo of a real one that I think has been posted previously. She was pretty good size and I got her with a running shot. Maybe I should have waited a minute or so; a buck was following her and I didn't see him till I shot her and then he skedaddled.

Latest posts

Back