Removing open sights on a Savage ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
I have a Savage 10ML-II coming next week :D and am planning to remove the open sights before I mount a scope. Will the screws that plug the scope base holes also plug the sight holes after I remove them or will I need to obtain new screws to plug the sight holes? I'm just planning a little in advance here! Thanks.

Yes the screws where the base goes will fit the holes where the sights are. :)

dwhunter said:
Yes the screws where the base goes will fit the holes where the sights are. :)

Well, I just got my 10ML-II today and removed the sights, BUT, there's just one problem! My gun came with no dummy screws in the scope base holes, so now I have no screws to fill the holes left by removing the open sights. Was the 10ML-II supposed to ship with the dummy screws in the base holes or am I going to have to order some from Savage?

My gun came with no dummy screws in the scope base holes, so now I have no screws to fill the holes left by removing the open sights.

Yeah Nick, I'm in the same boat as you. I just got my third ML-II and no filler screws for the scope base holes. :x There's really no excuse for that. They should be included. Why don't they keep the five XTPs that isn't enough to do anything with and include four filler screws? :roll:

Anyone know what SIZE filler screws are needed?

big6x6 said:
Why don't they keep the five XTPs that isn't enough to do anything with and include four filler screws?
No doubt! I agree, they should be included with a $500+ rifle!

Anyone know what SIZE filler screws are needed?
Chuck, I looked in the owner's manual and the schematic drawing shows that the 10ML-II takes 6-48 size filler screws. Since I don't have any, I guess I'll be making a call to Savage next week!

There's really no excuse for that.

Sure there is-- nobody has ever mentioned that they "need" them, and the few that do can get them from Brownells-- or any decent gunsmith for mimimal cost.

It is like anything else, why make everybody pay for something than few customers want or ever need?

No reason to include 5 bullets, no reason to include a plastic short-starter, and Chuck-- looking forward to your personal report on the Savage video. :roll:

I watched the Savage video this evening..... :? and I'll have to admit, it was rather lame! :)

Sure there is-- nobody has ever mentioned that they "need" them, and the few that do can get them from Brownells-- or any decent gunsmith for mimimal cost.

I have quite a few rifles here with scope base holes. They are made by Remington, Browning, Winchester, Weatherby, Dakota, Howa, Thompson/Center, and Knight. They ALL came with filler screws! I wonder if anyone told them they were needed. And when a rifle COMES with factory iron sights, filler screws are a MUST!

Knight does it the right way and very simplistic. Just throw in a small pack of four filler screws as the rifle is being boxed. No installation labor of screwing them in the holes.

Chuck, I looked in the owner's manual and the schematic drawing shows that the 10ML-II takes 6-48 size filler screws.

Thanks Nick, Just what I needed!

big6x6 said:
And when a rifle COMES with factory iron sights, filler screws are a MUST!

Why???? What does leaving those holes open damage??? Nothing at all. So why pay somebody to install them, and why spend the extra few cents buying screws for that person to install????

Why???? What does leaving those holes open damage??? Nothing at all

Sure it does. When I hunt, it's not always dry. Rain, dew, and snow can get into the action! So can dirt, tree bark, pieces of leaves, etc. No excuse for it.

It also looks tacky, taking away from the clean lines of the rifle.

So why pay somebody to install them, and why spend the extra few cents buying screws for that person to install????

As my PREVIOUS post above said: :roll:

Knight does it the right way and very simplistic. Just throw in a small pack of four filler screws as the rifle is being boxed. No installation labor of screwing them in the holes.

Knight does it for a $160.00 Wolverine. Savage CAN and SHOULD for a $500.00 ML-II. :shock:

There in no migration path from a lightly tapped sight screw into the action.

I believe they are free for the asking from Savage Arms and always have been, but will confirm that.

Every firearm that I have purchased that had filler screws in the holes made me scratch my head and wonder why they would do that.Yes they might keep a little moisture, and dirt out, but thats not a big deal especialy not when most people install a scope that uses the holes anyway. The one that made me wonder the most was my .44 mag TC Contender barrel. It has 4 holes for a scope base 2 are used for the factory rear sight and 2 are covered by the sight. When I removed the sight to install a scope I saw filler screws in the other 2 holes. There was no use for that in my openion.

One thing I have wondered for quite some time is why most manufacturers use #6 screws instead of something a little larger. A #8 is a whole lot stronger screw, and does not require enough larger hole to hurt anything.

RandyWakeman said:

I believe they are free for the asking from Savage Arms and always have been, but will confirm that.

I believe the barrel threads are visible thru front screw hole and open to rain if a scope is not installed.
charlie

:?

From screw 1 starting at the barrel nut:
#1- I can SEE where the barrel screws into the action thru the hole.
#2- The screw hole is THRU the receiver to the bolt, that's the action.
#3-DITTO.
#4-DITTO!

Since when is the bolt not part of the action. Bolt-Action.

There seems to be glue in Plainfield, Illinios as well. :?

If the gentleman from Alabama will refer to what he quoted, it is a sight screw that is in question-- which was / is the original topic, and also the holes that you seek to plug. No one is shooting iron sights only on this thread, and apparently no one has ever bothered to make a call to Savage for free filler screws. :roll:

HighTechRedneck said:
Every firearm that I have purchased that had filler screws in the holes made me scratch my head and wonder why they would do that..

Well, for one thing, those filler screws generally fill the holes left when you remove the open sights and want to fill the holes for a clean look. I remove the open sights on any gun I purchase IF the gun has open sights.

apparently no one has ever bothered to make a call to Savage for free filler screws.

Well, I was going to this week, BUT I was going through some gun boxes and came across some fillers screws that came with a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker. They worked perfectly to fill the holes left from removing the sights on the 10ML-II. It's kind of ironic that the A-Bolt would have filler screws at all since it had no open sights and you MUST mount a scope. But the 10ML-II had no filler screws at all and if you prefer open sights, then you are left with four unsightly holes in your receiver that you must either call Savage or scrounge around for filler screws for it! That's just not right on a quality firearm like the Savage.
Oh well, I've got my sight holes plugged and I'm happy and it's on to the next obstacle and that's to get a scope mounted!

Nic_58 said:
HighTechRedneck said:
Every firearm that I have purchased that had filler screws in the holes made me scratch my head and wonder why they would do that..

Well, for one thing, those filler screws generally fill the holes left when you remove the open sights and want to fill the holes for a clean look. I remove the open sights on any gun I purchase IF the gun has open sights.

You think that just a filler screw in those holes looks cleaner than an open hole. I don't. If yo want it to look cleaner you need to not have the holes in the 1st place, or do like Rifleman suggested a while back. To simplify whay he suggested it was take a longer screw, screw it in until it bottoms out then cut/grind it to match the contour of the barrel.

filler screws.

this is just something I do with the empty threaded holes, that is rub parafin wax into the hole then rub off the remaining wax residue with a coarse cloth , it blends in nicely with the stainless barrel, if you ever need to get back into the holes just heat the barrel up with a hair dryer and your good to go.

Back