Adjusting the trigger on your Knight Rifle...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
For those of you with Knight Rifles having adjustable triggers...

This is the procedure that Knight uses for adjusting the trigger when you send it in. You can easily do the same.

First, we should clarify that the trigger used by Knight Rifles is NOT a Timney trigger, nor are they manufactured by Timney. They only look similar....

Second, There is a history behind the trigger. In 1995, Tony Knight based this new trigger on the old Mauser 98 trigger. He took the Mauser trigger disassembled it, modified the internal components, and asked a trigger company to build triggers based on this new revised 98 design. I don't know who actually manufactures them....maybe someone can fill in the blank here...

As an added bonus, 98K Mauser trigger parts will interchange with your Knight trigger assembly.

The procedure goes like this:

Adjust the sear engagement set screw on the rear of the trigger assembly, until it compromises the free movement of the trigger safety. I think all who have attempted to adjust their own trigger have found that if they over adjust this screw the safety locks up or gets rough to operate.
Once safety function is compromised, back off the screw just until the safety is free and operates smoothly.

Note:
Do not attempt to adjust for minimum sear engagement ( you can see this through the small window in the side of the assembly) as the gun will not pass the 3' drop test. This test involves cocking the gun, taking off the safety and dropping it butt first, on a concrete surface from a distance of 3 feet. It should not go off. If it does, then the sear engagement is too fine.
Lastly, after this sear engagement screw has been adjusted, adjust the poundage screw on the front of the trigger assembly for the desired poundage.

You have now saved yourself the shipping cost of sending it to Knight Rifles in Centerville Iowa! 8)

Now, go adjust your trigger!!

Thanks Spit ! Sounds easy enough...I'll give it a try. :yeah:

trigger

Shucks Spit, I doubt if I have any guns with adjustable triggers that will pass a three foot drop test. That sounds like a lot of force. I will test some of them but I doubt if if I go as high as three feet. Mabe one foot or so was where I originaly tested most triggers. Is 3 feet a standard thing or just someone being over cautious??
Wayles

I didn't have the guts! Sent mine back to Knight a couple years ago and ask for 2 1/2 lbs. Had it back within (7) days and its dead nuts! I believe I read somewhere that attempting to adjust your own voids the warranty; not sure. Anyway, I'm very happy with mine. I have adjusted other Timney triggers with no problem.

My MK 85 came from Knight with a timney trigger in it. :D The ones on the disc's that I have are the latter version. The trigger on the Extreme was sent back to Knight because someone before me decided that they wanted to play with it :( and I couldn't get it to pass any drop test. :roll: Knight replaced the trigger with one set at 2 1/2 pounds. Like the previous poster had it back in 7 days. Gotta love their service.

DC

If you go to Knights web sight and click on the area that gets you to the owners manuals they have pictures within the manuals that go along with directions on how to adjust the triggers.

fliowa said:
If you go to Knights web sight and click on the area that gets you to the owners manuals they have pictures within the manuals that go along with directions on how to adjust the triggers.

Great! I did not know that. Thanks!! :D

For those of you with Knight Rifles having adjustable triggers...

This is the procedure that Knight uses for adjusting the trigger when you send it in. You can easily do the same.

First, we should clarify that the trigger used by Knight Rifles is NOT a Timney trigger, nor are they manufactured by Timney. They only look similar....

Second, There is a history behind the trigger. In 1995, Tony Knight based this new trigger on the old Mauser 98 trigger. He took the Mauser trigger disassembled it, modified the internal components, and asked a trigger company to build triggers based on this new revised 98 design. I don't know who actually manufactures them....maybe someone can fill in the blank here...

As an added bonus, 98K Mauser trigger parts will interchange with your Knight trigger assembly.

The procedure goes like this:

Adjust the sear engagement set screw on the rear of the trigger assembly, until it compromises the free movement of the trigger safety. I think all who have attempted to adjust their own trigger have found that if they over adjust this screw the safety locks up or gets rough to operate.
Once safety function is compromised, back off the screw just until the safety is free and operates smoothly.

Note:
Do not attempt to adjust for minimum sear engagement ( you can see this through the small window in the side of the assembly) as the gun will not pass the 3' drop test. This test involves cocking the gun, taking off the safety and dropping it butt first, on a concrete surface from a distance of 3 feet. It should not go off. If it does, then the sear engagement is too fine.
Lastly, after this sear engagement screw has been adjusted, adjust the poundage screw on the front of the trigger assembly for the desired poundage.

You have now saved yourself the shipping cost of sending it to Knight Rifles in Centerville Iowa! 8)

Now, go adjust your trigger!!
Just picked up 2 lk-93's and one has a trigger stamped "Made in US Timney". What time frame did they use them?

Back