1st shot way off target

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overdue Bill

Reaction score
The last several times I've shot my PRB .54 the first shot has been ab out 3 or 4 inches off on my first shot. After that it is mostly right on. Is this common or is it just me? Do others have this same problem? If so, how do I correct it. During deer season I sure don't want to be out there wondering where my first shot will go. Thanks a bunch!

A generously lubed barrel will generally throw off the first shot. Actually the ball will be exiting the barrel faster than with an unlubed or fouled barrel, and the ball exits the barrel somewhere in the rise of the barrel as it recoils. Don't know if I explained this in a manner that makes sense or not !

I've heard this reported from time to time but have never experienced it. Maybe it can be traced back to the shooters particular load. A change in lube, patch thickness or ball size might make a difference.

Appreciate your replies. Mofish, I am thinking you are on the right track. I have thought of firing a shot before I start the hunt but would this not cause rusting as I spend the day with a fouled barrel?

Before I load up to head out shooting, I give my barrel a working over with patches wetted down with my normal patch lube of Windex and Murphy's oil soap, followed by a few dry patches. I don't know what you use to lube your barrel, but I doubt you will see any rusting within any reasonable amount of time hunting. I'd also be sure to not use any petroleum products in your barrel.

I appreciate all of your replies. Mofish, do you have a certain formula for your windex/oil soap combination or do you just obtain a certain "goo"?

I appreciate all of your replies. Mofish, do you have a certain formula for your windex/oil soap combination or do you just obtain a certain "goo"?
I just take a medium sized bottle of Windex and add about a cup of Murphy's Oil Soap in it. I mix it up good and put it into small spray bottles, to just spray it on patches. One good mix of this amount will take you through a lot of shooting and barrel cleaning. There are lots of different types of things that folks use for the same purposes, but I've used this type for probably over 30 years, and have found no reason to change.
I like to use something like Frontier's patch lube for hunting, where the load will be sitting in the barrel for a long time.....but I like to clean any other lubes out of the barrel before loading.

What are you using for a barrel preservative? Do you clean it out before shooting?
My Renegade shoots the first shot about 2" lower than the rest of the shots on a fouled bore. I assume once the bore is fouled the PRB fit is tighter and velocity increases a bit. Mine works out to a 50 yard zero on a clean bore and a 75 yard zero when fouled. Left/right is always good, just elevation is a bit different.
I've never tried, but bet I could use a bit thicker patch for my first load to get them closer, or perhaps a .535 RB first with the same patch and then go to .530.
But I'd rather just remember that I have a 50 yard zero when clean and a 75 fouled, much easier to me than to mess with different thickness patches or sizes of RB.
I use Barricade for storage, and when loading to go hunting I don't bother to remove it. This way I have bore protection until I shoot. I leave my rifle loaded during hunting season until I shoot. If I hunt in snow or rain I'll just pull the load with a ball puller rather than shooting it and having to do a full cleaning.

When I was using .015" cotton patches I did see quite a bit more difference between my 1st shot and the following fouled shots, but going to a .018" pillow ticking patch improved it quite a bit.

Idaholewis swears by popping a couple of 209 primers in his clean bore before loading so that the clean bore shot is the same as the following fouled shots. He did have to buy a different nipple set up to do this.

I've never fired a fouling shot prior to going afield; never had to. The loads I shoot are tight and that might make a difference. But if you do fire a fouling shot there's still no worry about rust from only a day in the woods. Hunting in the rain, though, might change this. The advantage of loading tight is that the amount of fouling stays the same regardless of the number of shots fired. As each prb is seated it wipes the bore "clean" so the only fouling left in the bore is from just one shot.

This target was fired at 50 yards - actually it was closer to 60 yds - and consists of 5 or 6 shots. .50 flintlock longrifle. The first shot from a clean bore was right there in the group.

DSC00463.jpg

What are you using for a barrel preservative? Do you clean it out before shooting?
My Renegade shoots the first shot about 2" lower than the rest of the shots on a fouled bore. I assume once the bore is fouled the PRB fit is tighter and velocity increases a bit. Mine works out to a 50 yard zero on a clean bore and a 75 yard zero when fouled. Left/right is always good, just elevation is a bit different.
I've never tried, but bet I could use a bit thicker patch for my first load to get them closer, or perhaps a .535 RB first with the same patch and then go to .530.
But I'd rather just remember that I have a 50 yard zero when clean and a 75 fouled, much easier to me than to mess with different thickness patches or sizes of RB.
I use Barricade for storage, and when loading to go hunting I don't bother to remove it. This way I have bore protection until I shoot. I leave my rifle loaded during hunting season until I shoot. If I hunt in snow or rain I'll just pull the load with a ball puller rather than shooting it and having to do a full cleaning.

When I was using .015" cotton patches I did see quite a bit more difference between my 1st shot and the following fouled shots, but going to a .018" pillow ticking patch improved it quite a bit.

Idaholewis swears by popping a couple of 209 primers in his clean bore before loading so that the clean bore shot is the same as the following fouled shots. He did have to buy a different nipple set up to do this.
You have to love the way Lewis does things and they get done right.

I've had good luck wiping the bore down with denatured alcohol, and then a dry patch. Keeps the "first cold bore shot" In the group.

Back