Sightron????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HunterB4

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with these? I remember picking one up and looking through it about 5yrs ago and thinking man this is a really nice scope. But I've never actually gotten to look through one and fire with it, so I'm looking for some opinions. Mainly looking at the SI 3x9x40. Any input is appreciated.

I have that same model on my 6MM Rem. It has been everything that I expected. I have had no issues with this scope. Would buy another.

Thanks. I'm trying to decide between the Sightron, Vortex Crossfire and the new Bushnell Trophy XLT for my Accura.

I had a SI 3 x 9 x 40 on my Savage but didn't like the optical quality and finally took it off and put on a Bushnell 3200. I am currently looking into buying a scope for my 25-06 and am seriously looking at the Vortex line excellent optics and great customer service from everything I have been able to find.

DC

I have a Sightron scope on my muzzle loader , its only a 1x but the sharpest i have found . Also have a pair Sightron 10x42 binoculars and i just bought a pair of 10x42 nikon ( not sure why) but they are no as sharp as the sightron and i paid over twice as much . Very good glass in the sightrons IMO , I looked at a lot of the 1 x scopes at Cabela's and went back home and got the Sightrons at our local CalRanch store . So the ones i have and looked at have been really nice . I just ordered a scope for my 77/22 mag and i am trying the new Redfield 3-9x50 . Never had a Redfield before , the reviews are really good .

here is the Redfield i will be using on my Ruger 77/22 mag .
http://cgi.ebay.com/REDFIELD-REVOLUTION ... 35a6d3069c

encorepouch_MG_4306.jpg

binoksDSCN0363.jpg

I picked up a new Sightron 3X9X42 SII at the end of october last year. the Nikon on My Knight developed a lot of Parallax and needed to go in for repair. I mounted the Sightron and took it to the range. Boresighted with a Boresighter and thought it looked just a little out of focus, but thought it also just might have been me. When I tried to move the elevation knob it seemed to not want to move then just sort of felt like it popped loose. It seemed to adjust ok after that so I just moved it back and forth a few clicks several times and it seemed fine. Windage knob was ok. I then started looking downrange at the Target and noticed the target and everything around it was just a little out of focus. I tried to use the eye peice to adjust it but it is really just to set focus on the crosshairs and did nothing for the down range focus problem. So I tried to go ahead and sight in thinking I would use it for the season since I only have one more week to get the rifle ready. But the more I shot, the more the focus issue drove me nuts. So I stopped and drove home and pulled a Leupold VariXIII off of another rifle and took it and the Sightron back to the range. It was apparent side by side that there was a focus problem with the sightron. So I mounted the Leupold and while sighting in, I asked a couple of other club members to "check out my new scope". I did not tell them why I was showing them the scope. To a man, they each asked me if I had it adjusted to my eye. I asked them what the meant and they all said that it was just a little out of focus to them.

I sent the scope back to Sightron and they signed for it on January 4th this year. I waited till about 3 weeks ago and heard no news. It has been almost 2 months and I have not heard a peep out of them. I sent an email through their web site and got no response. I called them and spoke to a nice gal that said that the system shows it had been through the shop and was in a managers hands and she would pass on my cell number to have him call me. I waited about 2 weeks and nothing. I called Wednesday from work when I had a couple of minutes and the lady than answered passed me to a guy who asked me to explain the problem. I would almost bet it was the manager who was "Going to call me", and I even think he had the scope and letter in his hands. He said that he would go check it out and "that they had just gave it to him", and would call me back later. But 2 days later I have still heard nothing. I do not know if this type of communications is normal for them or not, but I think this is the last Sightron I will buy.

I'm sure that most of their products are ok because I have never heard anyone complain about them and seems as though there are several on this board that own one. I sent out the Nikon just before sending this Sightron out and it was back with in 4 weeks, I sent out a different Leupold and I got a letter in 2 weeks telling me that it was in the shop, the problem it was in for and that it was expected to be 15 days turn around but it was returned in 2 weeks and had been completely rebuilt. Yet the Sightron is still out there. Not too good in My book. :(

ShawnT

Im sorry you have had these problems with sightron , thats one of the reasons i did not look too much into the sightron , i never heard about thier customer service, word gets out. Iv heard they have good glass but thats it. I hope everything works out please keep us updated. I was very tempted at one time to get that big sky.

I called Sightron today for the 3rd time. I spoke to one of the guys there (I think he must have been a Manager) and was told that they had looked at my scope and even took it to the range today to look at targets since they had not found anything wrong with it in the shop. I explained the whole, I had 3 other club members look at it thing again, as well as what I had seen plus the side by side comparison to a Leupold. They said OK we will send you a New scope on Monday, and he is putting his buisness card in the box and wants me to call him after looking at it to let him know if I see a difference. So I guess we will see how it goes.

Hopefully this new one will be ok.

ShawnT

Received the new replacement scope and finally had a chance to look through it at the range this last weekend. Looked ok. Guy did not put his card in it so I don't know who to talk too when I call in to let them know it was ok. I did not mount it on anything. But that is because I got my Nikon back so I really don't need this one right now. At least they did make an effort to correct the issue, just took a while.

ShawnT

Thanks for the update shawn glad it worked out in the end

I sure wish I had read this threa before I bought a Sightron from OpticsPlanet just a hour ago to go on my CVA Accura that I bought from Cabelas yesterday. I was trying to save a few bucks since I bought the Accura on a whim and need some glass on it. I had read a couple of reviews that said they were nice scopes, just made in Japan.

johnpb,

I would guess you will have fine results with the new scope you have bought. I saw one online retailer that dropped Leupold as its "go-to" source infavor of Sightron, sighting all of the "Returns for service" as it's reason. I was just a bit disappointed in the communications from them I received, others have had the opposite results. They did make it right in the end, So I can't complain.

ShawnT

I have had good luck with Nikon myself, scopes and Binos. Yet I often wonder about all of the Referbs that Natches Shooting Supply sells when I get a monthly catalog. I sort of wonder about "Why do they have so many" and "Where do they get of those". :huh?:

ShawnT

After reading this I called OpticsPlanet and they let me cancel my order. I bought a Bushnell instead. It might not really be any better but once you get a thought in your head you are never really confident after, at least I'm not.

which bushnell did you get, i have a 3200 i have been happy with

Back