Velocity requirements Hornady SSTml/T-c shockwave

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried some 250 SSTML_T/C Shockwaves ( red and yellow tips) a friend gave me and got 1700 fps with 90 gr of Swiss 3f and a Harvester crush rib ( LOVE those things).Accuracy was very good , grouped right around 1 1/4 for 3 at 100, but I have no info on their expansion velocity requirements. Hornady publishes them for the XTP line , which is VERY useful, but I cant find them for these bullets. I'm interested in the data for both the 250's and 300's. I partially recovered one from the damp dirt backstop and I say partially because it was shredded, jacketless and weighed about 90 grains.
Although my choice in bullets is firmly committed to the XTP series,these SSTML's /Shockwaves are accurate.Besides , its good to have options...Oh, what if any is the difference between the red and yellow tips? Thanks.

To start with the yellow tips and the blue tips are designed for muzzle loaders, the yellow tip is for normal speeds like 1600 to 1900 FPS to give good results for deer size animals, the blue tips are bonded and work well on larger game like elk but open a little slower and unless you are getting over 2000 FPS I would not recommend them for deer size animals.
The Red tips have harder lead in them and are designed for a cartridge gun[ the 450 Bushmaster] at 2200 FPS. They are very accurate in a muzzle loader but getting them to open properly may be a problem. Lee

It gets complicated. There are hard plastic tips on the old SST/Shockwave bullets. The new ones have soft plastic tips. There are folks who say that the tip composition can make a difference on game. Have not seen that myself and I have killed about 8-10 deer and a couple dozen hogs using bullets with both types of tips.

You are getting a good velocity from 90 grains of powder. If a person does not want to use bp, 100 grains of Pyrodex or two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets is a good powder load for deer and hogs.

The second longest shot that i made with the 250 grain SST/Shockwave bullet was at 192 transit lasered yards on a sow that weighed about 140 pounds. The bullet came to rest inside the sow and it weighs 167 grains. The powder charge was 90 grains of JSG.

I've had real good performance with the TC shock wave 300 grain bullets. I've been shooting them out of my Knight disc extreme with 150 grains of tripple seven 2F. Groups run around 1 1/4 and under at 100 yards for 3 shots. On deer they work very well, most deer stay right where they get hit.

Back