Any body hunt with 7mm WSM?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
I traded for a Model 70 in 7mm WSM and there is really not a large selection of ammo so I was wondering if anyone uses one and how does it do on deer size game or any other? What ammo do you use? Thanks.

I have not shot the 7mm WSM but have shot the 270 and 300 WSM. The 270 WSM out sold the 7mm Wsm and are so close in ballistics that the market place did not have enough "Buying" power for both. The bore diameter difference is just .007.

The rifle caliber should make a long range bean field rig for you in South Carolina. If you hand load I would be saving or aquiring more brass for future needs. Most manufactures have already discontinued offering the 7MM WSM are a factory chambered offering.

For you smallish Southern whitetails a bullet in the 140 to 150 gr. weight range should suit you needs. Anything over 154 grains is just wasted and should be reserved for the weight class of Elk.

If I were loading for the 7MM WSM I would select the 154 gr. Hornady for practise and hunting or load the Barnes 150 gr. triple shock bullet.

The 7mm WSM is a great round just velocity shy of the 7mm Mag considering you can't buy the powders the ammo factorys load with.

Chocdog

Thanks Chocdog. I have a .300wsm identical to the 7mm. Both are model 70s. I just got the 7 on a trade and was wondering about the performance. I noticed that the ammo selection was kind of limited in Cabelas catalog.

140 gr. weight range with the 7 mm wsm should take care of anything in north america if the hunter does his part ..most hunters have either the 270 wsm or the 300 wsm ..the 7 mm is sort of an odd ball but very sufficiant in collecting game ..try the 140 gr. winchester supreme accubond ... expensive bullet yes but for hunting purpose nothing is expensive to me ..

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifl ... SMCTA.aspx

Blackpowder I have a model 70 in .300wsm that I use the Balistic Tip Supremes in and they run in the $40 a box range if I remember right. That is about my top in price for every day hunting and I'll probally go even less when this box is used. If I were going on a hunt out of state or where it would be a once in a lifetime hunt, then no cost would be too high to me. I bought a box of Winchester CXP2s to try the 7mm wsm out with. Heck they were only $32 a box @ Cabelas and I've only shot the gun 4 times and it looks like its a pretty good shooter with these.

all of my hunts are " once in a lifetime hunts" life is too short to cut corners ...

7 WSM

I had Browning Abolt 7 WSM for a few years. I didn't reload for it but bought about every loading I could find. Surprize to me was that the cheapest load (Win 140 Powerpoint) shot exactly as good as the more expensive loads and was ~ 1" at 100. I shot one whitetail with it and really tested its long range ablity by taking it at 22 yds. :D It was a 190lb dressed animal and was shot in front of the chest at slight angle. I recovered 60% of the bullet with the jacket intact. The permanent wound channel was 3" in diameter fully across the chest. Amazing performance for a cheap bullet going over 3000fps when it hit. I see no need to use a premium bullet for deer, just plain old jacketed lead, no gimmicks and not pricey. It lets you practice more...

smong2000 that's exactly the way I look at it. Some have more $ than practical reasoning.

I set mine up for long range with a Edge ultra light stock and throated the chamber for 168 grain Berger VLD. For general hunting like deer I use 120 TTSX. It is a bloody shame the cartridge never caught on, it is the ballistic equal to the 7RM.

Latest posts

Back