Help me with cleaning/swabbing between shots.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatguy

Reaction score
Being a total newbie to ML I swallowed the hype and thought I could/should only use the TC Bore Butter and #13 cleaner. Now after reading a lot of articles it appears that most of the BH209 and/or BM3 users are just cleaning with CLP (or an equilivent).

Question - When you clean with CLP and you swab between shots what are you using to swab? CLP (or equilivent), spit, windex, or ?_____??

What make the TC T-17 different from the old TC stuff?

thanks
Brian

I am understanding that you are shooting BlackHorn209. One of the selling points of BlackHorn209 is that you DO NOT HAVE TO swab between shots. Although some people do. Also, water or water based products should not be used in conjunction with BlackHorn209. Thompson Center Products are "all natural" and are WATER BASED. There for you are asking for a mess when you use them.

A very good swab solution when shooting BlackHorn 209 is simple 91% isopropyl alcohol that you can purchase for about $1.00 a bottle for any pharmacy. It will remove the fouling that you experience, and dry as it is being used.

When you make a patch to swab with, apply any liquid sparingly. I even ring out the patch as much as possible. Work that patch in short strokes down the barrel to the breech. Then back up. After that run a dry patch or two in the same manner. You are now ready to shoot again.

thanks for the tips.. I have 2.5 jugs of Black Mag 3 that i bought last year, so I wont be switching over the BH209 until later on..

I like the alcohol tip.. Ill try that here soon - it makes me wonder if my use of Bore Butter and #13 are part of the reason I am getting a crud ring using BM3 (see one of my other posts)..

thanks

brian

I shot Black Mag 3 for one jug, then I could not get anymore. I never found it hard to clean. Even windex would clean it. As for the Bore Butter.. now this is a personal opinion.. throw it in the trash can. All its good for IMO is lubing dry conicals.

If you are using it to protect your barrel, take the barrel off the rifle, get some boiling water, and pour that through the bore until you heat it up enough to boil that wax out. In modern muzzleloaders it is not needed. Protect your bore with a quality gun oil.

I agree with cayuga, throw the bore butter in the trash. I have found that for me dry swabbing between shoots gives me better accuracy

rjhans53 said:
I agree with cayuga, throw the bore butter in the trash. I have found that for me dry swabbing between shoots gives me better accuracy

I completely see what you mean, BUT in my defense I was just following the TC suggested routine from their DVD.. LOL I reckon they are just trying to sell product..

thanks for setting me straight.

Brian

Latest posts

Back