1895 Guide Gun to SBL

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
So I started with this.
An original 1972 BO.

48970822933_8c178643ab_c.jpg

And this is what she looks like now:

48993872836_2fe31a79a3_c.jpg

Stock set is new production 1895SBL, took a bit of fitting on the butt and the forearm, nothing bad, was just a bit to tight.
There is a very small chip on the top at corner of tang, but not noticeable unless you really look for it.
Shouldering is much more comfortable and it balances better.
Also installed the XS full rail, curved lower tang and Big Loop.
Took about an hour of hand fitting the loop to the lower tang, a few areas of the loop were over sized compared to the original.
Decided to smooth out the trigger a bit as well.
I am pleased and think it looks great.

Next will be fitting a full length mag tube, that may be a few weeks as the barrel will need
a new dovetail cut up front.
I may also cut the barrel back 1" and drill and tap for the XS ramped sight.
On order will be a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8X36 mounted in Leupold QRW2 high rings,
That should be just high enough to clear the rear peep sight.

Leupold 3i 2.5-8X36

Man, it does look so cool! It really benefited from your makeover. Mine's an early one and stays its usual homely self. But with my heavy handloads it has taken more than its share of deer, and one coon. It's seen hard use. It came with something of a curved butt plate which was a shoulder killer with heavy handloads. I was forced, for utlilitarian reasons, to install a shotgun butt pad. It also carries a sling and an old Lyman receiver sight. The sucker has always been ultra accurate.

PICT0487-3.jpg

Thanks Hanshi.
Range trip this morning was good.
First shot at 25yds was in the bull.
Then got it sighted in at 50yds.
Next time out will be at 100yds. With a scope.

I decided to go with a receiver sight after being WHACKED in the right brow by the scope I'd mounted on it. The heavy handloads I use really do kick.

I love lever guns and owned seven up until a year ago when I had to sell two of them.

Growing up in central New Hampshire, most folks hunted with Winchester or Marlin lever guns, in 30-30 or 35 Remington. There were a fair number of 38-55s around, and 32 Special.

My family were devotees of the Savage lever guns, in 300 Savage. I inherited a family heirloom, Grandpa Henry's Rifle, and 1895 Savage- predecessor to the 99 series. Cartridge is 303 Savage, 30 caliber similar in power to 30-30. No commercial ammo available now, have to reform 30-30 hulls.

I always liked those Savage lever action guns. Used one owned by an old friend once 300 Savage I believe. and thought he might leave it to me. Didn't happen but I do have an old percussion double shotgun of his. Was flirting with trying to take a turkey with it. Nice guns those Savage s

I always liked those Savage lever action guns. Used one owned by an old friend once 300 Savage I believe. and thought he might leave it to me. Didn't happen but I do have an old percussion double shotgun of his. Was flirting with trying to take a turkey with it. Nice guns those Savage s
I know you're retiring soon AND an avid turkey slayer, so dust-off that percussion shotgun, find a load, and pursue the challenge of smoking a turkey.

I've been a dedicated fan of the M99 Savage for 40 years and have owned three. When I was still hunting with cf rifles - I'd alternate with muzzleloaders - I was usually carrying either my M99 .250/3000 or my old Marlin 1895 45/70. I love my Win. 30/30 and .44 Marlin but the 99 and the big 45/70 were/are favorites. I've killed deer with far more than a dozen calibers with the .350 Rem mag and .243 coming in second. The M99 is still my go-to cf rifle.

I've been a dedicated fan of the M99 Savage for 40 years and have owned three. When I was still hunting with cf rifles - I'd alternate with muzzleloaders - I was usually carrying either my M99 .250/3000 or my old Marlin 1895 45/70. I love my Win. 30/30 and .44 Marlin but the 99 and the big 45/70 were/are favorites. I've killed deer with far more than a dozen calibers with the .350 Rem mag and .243 coming in second. The M99 is still my go-to cf rifle.
My second deer rifle was M99 .250/3000 and as a dumb young buck would do I traded it off for a Left-handed Savage m110 in a 243. Didn't help myself a bit, and lost a beautiful rifle. Now it's a 270 pump with 8 shot clips. Very effective, much faster than the lever action, and I'm still sorry for not keeping the m99.

Good deer round!

My old Marlin M95 45/70 is still the centerpiece of my marlin levers.

The makers name doesn't really matter when you're using the venerable 45-70 cartridge. Heck, mine's made by TC.
They shoot like a charm and strike like the hammer of Thor. đź’Ą

My Marlins aren't "Guide guns" We already have three trapdoor Springfield's. Carbine and infantry in 1884 45/70s and a 1863/64 in 50/70. Also a #1 in 45/70. My wife collects the Springfields. Back on the subject I have a '93 carbine rebored to 35/30, a first year 36 rebored 38/55, and a '93 30/30 with a very early 36 bbl possibly a factory replacement. Also a '93 in 32/40. As stated my 38/55 is my best cast bullet lever. Out here

Back