Lehigh/Knight Breech Plug Conversion???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sending my adapter back in to Dave along with my bolt so he can see the problem firsthand. From the conversations I have had with him and several people who have worked on this with him, I feel confindent that he will stand behind this and have a fix. It also does look like it was "overengineered" to tight tolerances without realizing that the bolts. etc, that it was designed to fit, were not made to the same tolerances. Hard for an engineer to accept, that that is why we are here.

I really want this to work, so I have no problem letting them work the bugs out. Just as long as it is before next season! He did issue me a complete refund without me even asking for one. Don't know how you can do more than that at this point.

HE is giving refunds i got mine tonight and he said they will hold off selling until the problem is fixed .....

+1 on a full refund... I didn't ask for one.

I offered to send mine back in an email... so far no reply from Dave except the refund notification.

I waited this long.... not a big deal. Starting to understand why Knight didn't address the problem in the first place...just too many variables/tolerances.

Im fairly sure i can get mine to fit correctly. I was being pretty gentle about tightening the breach plug. I only used a nut driver handle w/socket and no ratchet just for the test fit.

Everything else on mine fits fine and more than likely just needs the correct socket and a ratchet to tighten it down a bit more.

I will try to give it another attempt tonite but im finishing up a friends PC right now and recovery from a tail bone injury.

More than likely in my case its user error.

I will post an update soon.

Mine works!!!!

It just needed a tiny bit more torque!!!

Fired and ejected a CCI standard primer just fine. Going to try a few others now.

Edit

Rem STS primer worked fine
Win209 standard worked fine
CCI209M worked fine
Nobel 209/686 was the only one that would not allow the bolt to close.

Thanks Dave i feel like an idiot. :oops:

well thats the first one that seems to work , try it with a load a tell us whats going there

GM54-120

I have found that all of the European primers, built on the metric system are fatter than the standard American primers...

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

I have found that all of the European primers, built on the metric system are fatter than the standard American primers...

I had some to try out in the modded CVA (metric) plug and they actually are the 2nd best in that breach plug in terms of blowby.

Win209s still seem to be the best in both.

Lock up is tight but not too tight and ejection is fine for now. I guess it will be going to this weekends range session.

rt_con said:
As I said in my previous post.. I installed the new Lehigh adapter and B/P in my .45 and .50 Knight Elites.... both fit fine and the bolt cycled without issue without a primer. Note... I used a Knight B/P tool with the center drilled out with a 5/16" bit.

This A.M. I attempted to cycle 3 different brands of 209 primers (W209, Rem STS, and Fed 209a) and had the same issue with all 3. The primer would not drop into the adapter... and I had to apply serious thumb pressure to INSERT IGNORE it. When I closed the bolt, the primers seated in the B/P neck fine... no problem. However, after opening the bolt and attempting to dump the primers... all got stuck in the adapter. I had to remove the bolt from the rifle and pry them out with a screwdriver.

The opening in the adapter appears to be slightly too small to accept the primer without forcing the primer in or out of it. See pic below of a W209 primer hung on the adapter opening/rim. (This does not happen with the Knight NFPJ adapter)

Not bashing here ... and I bet I could probably buff with some 0000 steel wool and try to fix it myself (not sure, but there may be some tooling marks on the edge of the opening), but I think I should notify Dave so he can address it.

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

You are putting the primer in incorrectly, it doesnt go in the way you are trying to INSERT IGNORE it. The primer head goes in the othe way, I dont think you guys are installing the bolt adaptor correctly. I shot a handfull of Fed209a with mine in my disc 45cal, NO BLOWBACK. The large end on the bolt adaptor goes on the bolt end.
Mike

mwd571

Im 99% sure they are putting them in correctly. Many of the guys here have used the Knight version and im fairly sure they know how to install the product.

It would be pretty hard to INSERT IGNORE a primer and fire it if it was installed incorrectly.

Some of the primer adapter pics ive seen are not as smooth as mine and those are causing an issue for some people.

In my case it was an error on my part but the primer adapter/holder functioned great. I compared mine to the pics others have posted and theirs do look different.

mwd571 said:
You are putting the primer in incorrectly, it doesnt go in the way you are trying to INSERT IGNORE it. The primer head goes in the othe way, I dont think you guys are installing the bolt adaptor correctly. I shot a handfull of Fed209a with mine in my disc 45cal, NO BLOWBACK. The large end on the bolt adaptor goes on the bolt end.
Mike

Mike,

I have been shooting with the Knight NFPJ conversion for 2 years, If you can put the adapter in any other way than pictured here, I'd sure like to see a picture of it. The primer and bolt adapter can only go in one way, I think we all know how it works!

This is the Knight NFPJ conversion, but the Lehigh works exactly the same.

007-5.jpg

011-4.jpg

009-3.jpg

mwd571

Check out Busta's pic's - that is the correct way to install either the Knight or the Lehigh.

It is now known that there is a problem with some/all or most of the heat treated Lehigh primer adapters. The exact percentage is NOT known at this time. That may be certainly one of the reason that Dave put a hold on sales until the current inventory could be checked.

Those of us that have been test shooting the conversion have primer adapters that had not gone through the hardening process and were working very well.

My primer just drops right in and I have shot a bunch of the FED209a with no blowback, so maybe the one I have which I aasume has been heat treated is OK/

P1010508.jpg

mwd571

I believe only a small percentage of them were adversly effected by the hardening process. I know some of them are working and a few of them are not.

Latest posts

Back