The Wolverine Barks and Bites

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatbasin

Reaction score
I took my little 22 in. Knight out Saturday and made a real decent shot that I wanted to share.
It was 164 yards at a real steep angle in the mountains on a nice 3 point muley buck. I was a very memorable shot for a few reasons. First off, it was my longest kill to date and while anything less than 200+ yards might not seem long one to some of you experts...it is for me. Also, after the recoil I had time to pull my head off the stock and see the bullet impact and the DRT image of the buck dropping in his tracks! It was a real TV show type bang-flop shot, unlike anything I have ever seen before...impressive to say the least.

This was my chosen rifle and components.

Tefloned Knight Wolverine 22 in. barrel
285 gr. Barnes Spitfire MZ with the stock yellow sabot
110 gr. BH 209
Win. 209 shotshell primer in a FPJ
Leupold VX-III 3.5 X 10 scope (zoomed to 10 for the shot)

Here a photo of my line of sight and the solid rest I had available that helped me make the shot happen. The buck is down on the spot.

untitled.jpg

G.B. report

Great Basin; That is a great report. & WOW!!! That sure was a steep angle. Hope your haul-out was downhill. Congratualtions on a GREAT hunt. :wink: Thanks for sharing.
Art

Congratulations on the shot and the harvest of a mule deer. That is a long shot, but it goes to show, these little Wolverines can do it all. I never shot blackhorn out of mine because of the design of the breech.

frontier gander said:
wheres the buck?

He's still sliding down the mountain. :lol:

Congratulations greatbasin, that is quite a poke. My longest is 170 yards with a straw bale rest.

And I second the beautiful scenery! 8)

frontier gander said:
wheres the buck?

we want to see him !!

I am still waiting for my friend to e-mail me a photo of mine . I forgot my camera and had to go back to get my photos ( 20-30 minutes away ) of the spot i shot mine . The photo of my buck will be on the floor of a taxidermy shop though and not in the field where i shot him . :cry:

also sure looks like one heck of a hike out of there , a horse sure would be nice !! :D

G B Congrats on the buck and great shot.

Memories that will last a lifetime !!!!!!

You are quite right..GB
It looks like a seen from a TV show.
Congrats and hope to see your buck soon.

Thanks guys. I have a couple of other snapshots, but I cannot access them from work...Ill put them up later.

cayuga said:
That is a long shot, but it goes to show, these little Wolverines can do it all. I never shot blackhorn out of mine because of the design of the breech.
In this rifle, BH 209 has worked as well as any other powder. In fact I've never had a hang or missfire with it.

Busta said:
frontier gander said:
wheres the buck?
He's still sliding down the mountain. :lol:

Well your not to far off with that guess. That's why I don't have a decent photo...when I tried to position him, he slid deeper down the canyon, and since up was my way out, I said the heck with the quality photo. Besides. he's certainly not a trophy buck...more of an eater than anything else so I quickly snapped this instead of fighting a loosing battle with the slope.

muley09005.jpg

UtahRob said:
I am still waiting for my friend to e-mail me a photo of mine . I forgot my camera and had to go back to get my photos ( 20-30 minutes away ) of the spot i shot mine . The photo of my buck will be on the floor of a taxidermy shop though and not in the field where i shot him . :cry:
Your photo can't be any worse than mine so be sure and post it up.

Here's my only other photo...happily back at camp with the first load of meat.

023crop.jpg

Good luck and happy hunting :)

How clean does the Receiver area stay using the FPJ breechplug? Do you ever have any problems with the primers coming apart? I would like to try your set-up in my MK-85 based on your results.

thats a cool looking rack on that deer!

Must have been hell trying to drag that deer out with the mountain bike! Did tire chains help any? :lol:

jsteurrys said:
How clean does the Receiver area stay using the FPJ breechplug? Do you ever have any problems with the primers coming apart? I would like to try your set-up in my MK-85 based on your results.

I would say the guns receiver stays very clean. Much cleaner than shooting with musket caps.

I have seen some popped primers but I can't remember if it was with this rifle or my Elite. At any rate, the primers have never come apart, they've just bulged a little, sometimes...with no noticeable effects on accuracy or velocity. BTW, with this combo I get about 1800 fps.

Also, I think Knight offered me a striker with a less pointy tip for 209's but then they said don't worry about it the pointy one will bust 209's just fine. So I just changed out to the one piece plug and kept the orginal striker.

Back