#11 Percussion Cap Maker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have read and heard of these, Before I kick out 3/4 a days wage can anyone say anything, Good Bad Ugly does not matter to me. Used with success or another crash and burn product.

I have had one for a few years now. With the right components, a steady hand, and time you can make caps that will go off just like store bought caps. They will not work in cappers, at least mine don't. Very time consuming to make, but worth it if you want to keep shooting during the cap shortage.

I have had one for a few years now. With the right components, a steady hand, and time you can make caps that will go off just like store bought caps. They will not work in cappers, at least mine don't. Very time consuming to make, but worth it if you want to keep shooting during the cap shortage.
Grimord That is is exactly what I need to know, thank you. As far as "Time Consuming" driving to 5-6 different LGS, Big Box, Mom & Pops in a 75 mile radius wastes time as well as gas. I think this will pay for itself in Gas alone after the first few 100`s or so

I bought one from MANNY C, in CA. several yrs ago, and tried it out and it worked to my amazement. it cost around $ 60+ back then. the out put is done and I have it put away for when they be come unattainable! so I for one would recommend one.

be sure you use the cleaned inside of the soda can, if that is what you are going to punch them out of.
something on the outside of the can makes all the primer compound fall out. or you can mix a drop of duco cement with alcohol and add it on top of the compound. home made is all i use now.
if you find a single layer cap problematic, stroke the little plunger half way, then move the can material and hammer full stroke. this doubles the cap. very robust then.

RWS Caps are starting to come back in stock with at least one of my distributors. Caps will be back before center fire primers and probably shotshell 209 primers. At least, if past scares are any indication.

RWS Caps are starting to come back in stock with at least one of my distributors. Caps will be back before center fire primers and probably shotshell 209 primers. At least, if past scares are any indication.
Hope you are right, but for the past year I have been shooting my flint locks, and I am starting to shoot them better than I ever did. Practice and necessity seem to do the trick.

Fanboy, I got one from sharpshooter22lr before the shortage began. I have been useing them for a year now with good results. I don't use the mix instead I use punched out paper caps 4 for each cap. I tried the mix and due to my mixing I had a few failures to fire. I use a multi hole pliar punch to make the paper fit tight into the made cap then put a drop of 50-50 mix of acetone and clear nail polish for water proofing and holding tight the paper caps. I have not used a soda can but dubbled over aluminum pie tins for the stiffness I wanted. May not be pretty but works when you can't buy any I'm still shooting!

Hope you are right, but for the past year I have been shooting my flint locks, and I am starting to shoot them better than I ever did. Practice and necessity seem to do the trick.
Grimord I am with you, thinking I should get a few flinters, to add to my collection, as well as learn to shoot

Fanboy, I got one from sharpshooter22lr before the shortage began. I have been useing them for a year now with good results. I don't use the mix instead I use punched out paper caps 4 for each cap. I tried the mix and due to my mixing I had a few failures to fire. I use a multi hole pliar punch to make the paper fit tight into the made cap then put a drop of 50-50 mix of acetone and clear nail polish for water proofing and holding tight the paper caps. I have not used a soda can but dubbled over aluminum pie tins for the stiffness I wanted. May not be pretty but works when you can't buy any I'm still shooting!
That is the one I got me eye on I found them whilst I was tripping around the internet looking for casting supplies

No body ever mentions CVA Electra these are great rifles that use a 9 volt battery. I bought refurbished that were available online. These are no longer available due to some States outlawing them for hunting. No primers no flint stones. Accurate inline I’ve killed many deer at over 100 yards. I hunt with Thompson Renegade 54 that I got as a blued kit in 1985 but with primer shortage the Electra is the ticket!

No body ever mentions CVA Electra these are great rifles that use a 9 volt battery. I bought refurbished that were available online. These are no longer available due to some States outlawing them for hunting. No primers no flint stones. Accurate inline I’ve killed many deer at over 100 yards. I hunt with Thompson Renegade 54 that I got as a blued kit in 1985 but with primer shortage the Electra is the ticket!
I remember the Electra never had one I always wanted dang you utrackem, gonna have to scour the internet...hahahahahahahahahahah

Can't you use it during regular rifle season?

Back