My Elite 45 looks like a keeper.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I just wanted to test a few bullets compared to the 200gr SST i use in the Acurra for hunting. So i started with the same 100grs of BH209 and a Win209. I actually started using Fed209A for the first 3 but they were harder to remove from the NFPJ.

First 4 including the switch to the Win209 primer

First4.jpg

Final Adjustments for the SST

SightIn.jpg

Zoom out of the first target and 7 SSTs.

1thru7.jpg

Three 220gr plated RNFPs and 1 Barnes 357 140gr XPB.

220GRRNFP.jpg

Montana Gold 165gr JHP and no cool down time. Notice the climbing.

MG165JHP1.jpg

200gr plated RNFP

200GRRNFP.jpg

Lehigh 200 and Harvester Smooth. Only load i tested with over 100gr.

Lehigh200-1.jpg

Buffalo Bullets 325gr flat base HP with fiber over powder wad POI compared to the 200gr RNFP.

220and325Conical.jpg

All shots at 40 yards and a very windy 73F. All using Win209 after sight in and 100gr BH209. Excluding the Lehigh 200gr DOA.

Wind gusts and wind direction changes made it hell so i only went to 40 yards and the on and off light rain didnt help either. On a sled with Swift Premier 2x7x40 WA scope.

I dont know if its the Lehigh vent liner and BP in the Elite but the same SST charges in my Acurra are nowhere near as hard on the sabots with 100gr of BH209. IMO it is getting a much more efficient ignition than the modded CVA plug. I saved almost all my sabots and they look like 110gr charges and the 265gr in my Acurra.

Seems like it shoots a wide variety of bullets with very similar windage variations using just 100gr of BH209 even in very heavy crosswinds.

This sucker needs a Varmint scope. :p

Scott

Gm54-120

Looks like you are working on getting that gun up and shooting. It just gets better!

I got out again with mine today also, headed to Little Boulder Rock Pit. This was suppose to be just a fun afternoon shooting a few shots to check 100 yard zero.

It ended up to be a little more and I have not got a thing to show for it. Except a big grin on my face. I ended up shooting 41 shots at stuff in the rock pit. I orginally put out 10 clay pigeons @ 97 yards lasered. Well I made short work of those 10 with the Speer 40/180 Gold Dots. I am shooting 2 1/2" high at 100 but with the Leupold Ultimate Slam - it is an easy pickup using the center circle around the center dot...

After shooting those 10 birds - i did the un-thinkable, at least un-thinkable for me... I set out another 10 birds and switched to those Golden Lehigh 40/200 grain bullests. It just hurts to shoot them at something other than an animal. Well, anyway the birds were not match for the Lehigh's.

From there I went back to shooting Gold Dots... and just started shooting pieces of the broken birds that I could find laying around. Really that was more fun as it was a bit more challenging. I just kept shooting - it was great. Finally I decided enough was enough.....

I guess I should also say that after the 41 shots - i had near zero blow back in the breech area. It was just a matter of wiping the the bolt and primer adapter clean. Removed the breech plug and the vent liner wiped them down and they are essentially ready to go back in.... but I will clean them up with cleaner...

What a great buy you got me into... Thanks....

Looks like it's all coming together for that gun
Nice shooting
I can't shoot for a while,spring turkey is in and I don't want to be shooting while someone is trying to hunt.

Mike
Sounds like one of my sessions with 41 shots
I usually shoot all day when I go through the trouble to set everything up

Thankfully this time was very laid back except for the weather.

I even walked down to the target between most shots and marked them. I did shoot one group quickly just to see how it effected point of impact vs cool down time.

The large vent liner pocket in the Lehigh breach plug may not be clean YET in a 45 Elite but ignition is awesome. 100grs acted like 110gr by the condition of the sabots.

Back