#11 Nipples - Hollow base VS Flat Base

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
I did these years ago and when my spitfire nipples come in, I'll try to capture some new videos.

Custom nipple - I used a Factory Steel CVA Nipple and made it into a shallow hollow base. I personally prefer a hollow base nipple as it prevents any fouling from being built up in the drum on my Traditions.

Factory Hotshot flat based nipples.

Standard CCI #11 caps were used.

More fire 🔥 with the hollow base for sure. I switched to ToP Hat caps (musket) on several of mine for that same effect/reason. More fire 🔥 better ignition. At least so I think anyways. Thanks for the video 👍🏼

Nice Videos! I was experimenting with Triple 7 in Percussion side-locks a while back and had ignition problems. I switched to a Mountain Muzzle Loading “Spitfire Magnum” nipple. The end that goes in the flash channel is coned. Needless to say, the gun went off every time.
I had a friend who was having the same problem with T-7 in his T/C Hawken. He switched and had the same results as me.

On a side note, the inside of most touch hole liners is coned and some on the outside as well; creating an hour glass look. It’s supposed to improve combustion both in consistency and time.

Attachments

• 19-14126__37065.1402337144.220.220.jpg
    19-14126__37065.1402337144.220.220.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 8
  • ML020_i2.jpg
    ML020_i2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back