switching powder a few ?'s

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
bought a new omega and sighted it in with 777 fffg and used up all my powder. when i went to the store the only powder that i could get is 777 ffg. wanted to know if the shooting the different grains how will it if any affect the accuracy? plan on getting to the range friday wanted to know what to expect? will the gun be dead on still, slightly off or completely off?

FFG is what you most likely should have been shooting in the first place. You may notice a slight decrease in muzzle velocity but all in all you should be ok but your POI may change.

As a general rule FFFG is better used in non saboted conical shooting muzzleloaders. The lighter granulation is typically easier to ignite, builds pressure quicker and enhances conical obturation.

Actually, there is not a whole lot of difference between 2fg and 3fg 777. I did a good bit of testing with both a couple years ago and found that in my Knight, there was less than 100fps difference between identical charge weights with identical bullets. I think this is because the 2fg cut is so fine already, that the 3fg really cannot be much finer.

I DID find that in my rifle, I got better accuracy with 3fg when using heavy bullets (sabots of 350gr and greater). Sabots of 300gr or less did better with 2fg. I also found that powerbelt bullets tended to not like the 3fg - I think it's higher pressure keeps the sabot cup from falling off of the powerbelts, which destroys accuracy. And for me, conicals didn't seem to like the 3fg either. My groups with both 385gr Great Plains and 480gr No Excuses conicals were significantly larger with 3fg 777 when compared to identical loads of 2fg.

But all firearms are different - so your mileage may vary. :wink:

Latest posts

Back